4GB DDR3 Dimms? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 24th, 2010, 04:26 AM   #1
Major Player

4GB DDR3 Dimms?

My motherboard, has 6 DDR3 RAM slots, each has 2GB dimm occupying it giving me 12GB.

I would like to boost my RAM but have not yet found a motherboard with 12 RAM slots! Is it possible to find 4GB DDR3 dimms anywhere??? Is this how some people are managing to have a huge 24GB in there systems?

Thanks
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Here's a list of 4GB DDR3 dimms at newegg, $80 and up.

Newegg.com - Desktop Memory,4GB,4gb ddr3
Allan Tabilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Burnap View Post
I would like to boost my RAM but have not yet found a motherboard with 12 RAM slots! Is it possible to find 4GB DDR3 dimms anywhere??? Is this how some people are managing to have a huge 24GB in there systems?
The only motherboards with 12 DIMM slots that you would be able to find at this point are server motherboards with dual CPU sockets.

Also, 4GB DDR3 DIMMs are available; in fact, many of those people who currently have 24GB of RAM spent upwards of $1,200 for the six DIMMs. That's nearly double what twelve 2GB DIMMs sold for at the time. But with today's falling prices, you can get 24GB worth of 4GB DDR3 DIMMs for about as much money as only 12GB worth of those same-sized DIMMs cost just a few months ago - in the vicinity of $500 to $600.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Trustee

Dan, I'm curious as to what your motivation is for increasing the RAM beyond what you have?
What task do you hope to improve or expedite?
Old September 24th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the replies Gents. I am hoping to improve my Adobe CS5 encode times. Harm Millard has suggested I run the CS5 Benchmark program which I will do. Not wishing to mix two posts but its either a ram upgrade or upgrade my i7 920
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #6
Inner Circle

If you live near a MicroCenter, upgrading to an i7-950 is really pretty much a no-brainer if you want to cut encoding times. They sell them for $230 (as a loss leader to get you in the store). That's almost sure to be more cost effective than bumping up memory, and if you sell your old i7-920 on America's favorite auction site, you might even wind up making a little profit.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC