Anyone heard of jahshaka (an open source video editing/fx suite)? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 10th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #1
Trustee

Anyone heard of jahshaka (an open source video editing/fx suite)?

http://www.jahshaka.org/index.php?op...id=4&Itemid=26
i've installed it and played around with it. it won't even load .mov. doesn't look like it's currently very usable... but with enough time developing it... it could become somn very big =). heck it's better than windows movie maker at least.
Old August 11th, 2005, 04:56 AM   #2
Capt. Quirk

I crashed it in less than 5 minutes, and that was just playing around. I haven't tried it since then, but you are right... it may be worth watching.
Old August 11th, 2005, 07:05 AM   #3
Trustee

i don't think it even has a video cap. =). anyway, i know it's just the beginning but we are sorely lacking in video editing software application. the more the merrier... especially free. i know there is cinelerra but there are no windows binary yet. only *nix source. last i heard it was very unstable.

the biggest benefit i can see this application having is workflow. using opengl and taping into the open source community opens up a huge world of possibilities. for example, i always wondered if the GPU can help render the enitre project after editing. it should be much faster if there was a way to tap into the pixel shader to help rendering the entire final output of the project. so, instead of 4-8 hours of rendering a 2 hour movie into DVD format, it only takes 2 horus live because it is doing it real-time and writing it back into the hard drive. the only problem is they're not doing it on 3D applications so i doubt they are able to do so on video cause nvidia/ati drivers aren't written for write-backs into HD.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC