Xeon Quad Core or i7? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 7th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Xeon Quad Core or i7?

sorry for the delay.
Secretary is on vacation having to do her job as well as my 10.

if you are serious i really will loan you both cards.
aside from AE and lightwave we have no 3D apps to test with.
and i refuse to allow umm "borrowed" versions to be downloaded to any system at the work address.

i hate Specview its old and useless i dont know why people keep using it, Cinebench is ok.
as you can see by the link you posted (Xbit)
performance is all over the place with regard to GTX vs Quadro for the various 3d Apps.
there is no 1 pat answer.

trying to get benchmarks done around here is like pulling teeth, we are so busy all of the time its hard to find time and generally only do it for platform validation (new chipsets/processors) once past that we usually dont again until the next new thing :-)

we do benchmark every system that ships but only to the extent of what software we installed for the client, and the obvious hardware tests. (sisoft/HDtach etc)

MRQ enabled is an interesting way to add strain on the system. hmm may have to look at that rather than doing the lightning effect.

always happy to engage in a good debate :-)
Scott
Scott Chichelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #17
Trustee

Re: Xeon Quad Core or i7?

Scott,

Do you have any numbers on the speed difference between ECC Reg ram and non-ECC ram? I have to check but I think my Z800 supports 48GB of non-ECC or maybe 24GB. I believe the SR-2 supports 48GB of non-ECC, correct?

To be honest, I would like to benchmark After Effects with 2GB per core and 4GB per core so 24GB total and 48GB total on my Z800. I'd also like to test PPro with MRQ. So far, it seems my Z800 is about 2.5-2.8 times faster than my home i7 PC with MRQ enabled. I rendered a project yesterday on both PCs with MRQ enabled on my Z800 and MRQ disabled on my home pc and the render times were almost identical (~2.5hrs).

Btw, you mentioned earlier that geforce supports 10bit over DP. Did nvidia update their drivers to allow this? An easy way to know whether 10bit is enabled and working with Premiere is this: when opening a project in Premiere, the screen will flash black a couple times. Imagine my anxiety when I saw this happen several times after the 5.02 update, but Adobe said this is normal due to the way the Windows 7/nvidia/Adobe software/drivers interact.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC