Adobe SLACKIN at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 15th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Adobe SLACKIN

When do you guys think Adobe is going to update their software? It's been a long time. Do you think they will up date it before or after the DVH200 is released? They use to pump out updates out about every 8 months to a year. SLACKERS!~~~
Greg Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Dump it and come over to the FCP world. It's a great thing, it really is... It's true what they say. Once you go MAC you will never look back.

http://www.southernwindsfilmfestival.com

http://www.phigmentphilms.com
James Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #3
Wrangler

No platform wars, please. Thank you.

Greg, nobody who can say will do so, and the rest of us won't know until Adobe makes an announcement. All I can do is guess along with everyone else. Given the length of time since any updates to the Adobe Video Collection and the current proliferation of affordable HD, I'll be a little surprised if there isn't a new version within the next couple months.

But, ya never know.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #4
Major Player

I've wondered this too but the way things look, AVID and FCP seem to be the best options at the moment and in the future. AVID, though I like the flexibility and reputation, may not be for me as I'm not too confident about it working with my PC right off the bat as I use my PC for everything, not just video. FCP looks very nice but you'd need to invest in a Mac and adopt it as your main video editing platform, I say "main" to mean you can edit and what not on the Mac and do finishing and effects on the PC and back for final high quality export, that's what I've been doing and it's been working out great. Though, I'm using iMovie HD ATM as I'm waiting to see how the whole Intel switch goes on the software side.

I would only buy Adobe from now on for After Effects alone, it's better to buy the Video Collection versus AE on its own, saves a lot of money collectively and adds more usefulness with the extra apps. But if you're currently using Premiere Pro, stick with it for a little while longer, it's almost about time for them to update as they usually do.
Old November 16th, 2005, 06:53 AM   #5
Major Player

I would assume Adobe will be updating.. Since aquiring Macromedia who I believe were the original creators of Final Cut before apple bought it from them.. Since they released Creative Suite 2, I would hope they didn't forget about their Video products..:)
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 02:38 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Adobe is getting pretty long-in-the-tooth with their video product updates; however, their software is currently pretty solid. Maybe a few features missing in comparison to FCP5, but solid none-the-less. I did call Adobe's Customer Service and asked if the Video Collection 3.0 is on preorder and the lady I spoke with said that something should be announced at NAB '06. The Video Collection is nearing its 18-month lifespan.

It'd be nice to see PP, AE and Encore take full advantage of 64-bit dual-core computing.
Xander Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 06:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

While not a detailed announcement, Adobe's website states the next version of the Video Bundle is expected to be released in early '06. Sounds like a NAB '06 announcement to me.
Xander Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #8
Major Player

Probably right.. I read somewhere about Multicam, HD, Integrated Encore and h.264 encoding.. Sounds like FCP..:)
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 01:08 AM   #9
Major Player

I personally just want Adobe to FIX their software before creating an updated one with new features. It is powerful, it is loaded with useful features, intuitive, you name it, but it is also BUGGY AS HELL! For example, I work with 24p and it frustrates me to no avail that there is absolutely no way to send a MASTER back to DV tape in true 24p (2:3:3:2) / 16:9 without getting audio glitches. I upgraded my system entirely, no changes, this is completely PPro related, it just does not work well with 24p footage. This is the most frustrating bug, but there are tons of other issues that have never seen a patch come in relief from Adobe.

So yes, they are slacking, always been, but just because they are too worried about adding new features before making their current ones rock solid.

I'm a professional videographer and have started on PPro before switching to Avid. There is a reason why Avid and FCP are such industry standards. It's because they are RELIABLE, something that cannot be said about PPro. It's too bad really because I learned my craft on Premiere the last few years and I love the interface and features, but because time is now money for me, I can no longer afford to waste hours/days pulling my hairs out trying to fix bugs and getting around strange problems with this software.

This is my only grip my Adobe, but major enough to say they won't see the color of my hard earned $$$ again before they start delivering a true pro (not in name only) product for us professionals out there. I'm telling you, I would go back to Premiere in a nano-second if it could just be as solid, stable and reliable as FCP or Avid Xpress Pro, but they are not and I wonder if they'll ever be.

Sorry for the rant, it's been a love-hate relationship for years between me and Adobe Premiere. As for much needed missing features, the only ones I can come up with are multicam editing, which is key for event videographers like me and should definitelly be integraded in their next version, as well as better color correction tools. But again, stability and reliabilty should be the #1 priority. I'm hoping for it, but no longer expecting it. I've been disapointed too many times with their new releases. Make it right for once Adobe!
David Lach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC