Fastest Way to Split AVI at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 15th, 2002, 10:31 PM   #1
Sponsor: JET DV

Fastest Way to Split AVI

I have a 13 Gig AVI file that was captured in Scenalyzer that MUST be edited with Cinestream. Unfortunately, Cinestream will only see the first 2 Gig of an AVI file. Using Vegas Video I can easily see the whole file.

At this point, I see two options:

1. Load in Vegas and render as Quicktime.
2. Load in Vegas and render as multiple 9 minute AVI's.

Is there a quicker way to split an AVI file into pieces?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2002, 03:55 AM   #2
Skyonic New York

use Scenalyzer
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2002, 07:50 AM   #3

I'm talking about a "live" performance that was captured directly to the computer. I need the existing AVI file split. I realize I could have set Scenalyzer to automatically split upon capture (forgot I needed to do so) but how can I use Scenalyzer on a file that is already in the computer?
Old December 16th, 2002, 08:09 AM   #4
Rextilleon

Simple

Very simple---take the event in Vegas and split it up the way you want it---Then all you have to do is select "render to new track" and it will create a new AVI files for you---That simple----

(make sure you select above the timeline for each section you want to render to a new track)
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2002, 08:35 AM   #5

Yeah, I understand that will work. However, I have to tell someone else, over the phone, how to do the conversion and that person has never used Vegas. I think they may be about to get a crash course in splitting and rendering.

This is one of those things where *I* could sit down and have everything completed in the length of time it took to render. Unfortunately, *they* have to do the actual work with an explanation from me over the phone.

If *I* were going to edit this file - I'd use Vegas anyway. But *they* only know how to use Cinestream (and, for some reason, Cinestream is giving an error when opening the capture screen).
Old December 16th, 2002, 02:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Here's an attempt to make the process simplified for the end user:

1) Drop the clip onto the Vegas timeline.
2) Zoom in or out until you can find where the split needs to be.
3) Click once on the clip at the location you want to split, hit 's'.
4) Double-click the region to the left side of the split. It will now be highlighted as the loop region.
5) Do File->"render as", check on "loop region only"
6) Hit 'delete' to remove the now rendered section, to keep things straight.
6) Repeat 4-6 for each subsequent section.
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2002, 02:49 PM   #7

We tried that. The end result was a 1.9 Gig file of which Cinestream could only see the first 1 Gig. Apparently the Type 2 files created by Scenalyzer are different than the ones created by Vegas.

After fiddling for over an hour, we finally decided to just capture from the master tape (that was recorded at the same time as the live capture) with Scenalyzer set to split at the 2 GB point. I know this works.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC