Are there any simplistic Special Visual Effects programs for a good price? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 16th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Are there any simplistic Special Visual Effects programs for a good price?

I'm looking for a program that can add things to your video such as laser blast, gun shots, explosions, glowing objects, or any other special effects. Nothing too expensive but affordable. Any suggestions?
James A. Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Please define "too expensive" and "Affordable" to you.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Virtix is cheap and easy and sometimes even nice (especially for the price) around $100. This compared to Boris FX which is closer to like $750 if I remember right. Both use keyframing. The keyframing on Virtix is less intimidating because it has fewer controls. Both can be downloaded free to try. The Virtix free download will put a watermark on the sequence until you buy the key code. The BorisFX free download doesn't have a watermark but is only good for a couple weeks. Caution- BorisFX is so much better, but so more expensive that you might not want to look at it. It's like test driving a porche when you can only afford a volkswagon- so why bother. I know Boris is for PC/Mac, and I have Virtix for my Mac. I would just think Virtix is also available for PC.

"Talk is cheap unless you have a lot of audio toys"
Scott Routt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Inexpensive is tricky. $10 is a lot of money to me. :) But you might want to check out the folks at FXHome.com. They have some popular, easy software, for around $100-$200 -- which I've never tried -- but it has a loyal following.
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #5
Regular Crew

FXHome is great for the price. I work primarily in After Effects but I'd say that about 75% of everything I do in AE I can easily accomplish in FXHome. I have played around quite a bit with FXHome and there is a learning curve (maybe not as steep as AE but still steep) so in order to get it to work for you you'll have to spend some time with it.

For lasers, gun blasts, blood spurts, etc., FXHome is perfect. Good luck.
William W. Holcomb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC