Wireless Keyboard/Mouse at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 9th, 2003, 10:50 AM   #1
Wrangler

Wireless Keyboard/Mouse

Any experience using these? Positive or negative? The need for battery power seems like an extra hassle, is it?

NOTES:
I managed to break my keyboard and of course when I went to CompUSA they had 1 wired keyboard on the shelves and about 20 wireless.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 11:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi,

I have a Microsoft Multimedia Wireless Keyboard ( The black & silver one ). I'm _very_ satisfied with it. Ordinary batteries hold about 1.5-2 month ( everyday use ).

The special thing with this KB is that "Delete,Page Up, Page Down..." keys are placed differently than on other keyboards( I like this style)...and the mouse isn't so big ( fits my hand very well ).

At work, many people uses Logitech wireless KB( also Black and silver ) - the layout of them is like a standard KB and the mouse is bigger than the MS mouse.

Both MS & Logitech works well if you keep the transimitter and reciever no more than 7 feet away from each other.

Both Logitech and MS has optical mice.

Good luck!

// Lazze
Old April 9th, 2003, 04:22 PM   #3
Major Player

I use a Logitech MX700 Optical Mouse. It comes with a charger so you never need to worry about batteries. When you're not using the mouse, simply place it back on its charger and you're ready to go the next time (similar to those cordless home phones).

Accuracy and the remote capabilities are reliable too. In some reviews I've seen of this mouse, gamers - who believe it or not need very sensitive mice for on-line first person shooter games - found the mouse to be very responsive. I thought this was interesting because up until this point there weren't too many optical wireless mice gamers were enthusiastic about.

This is my second Logitech cordless mouse (this one was given to me as a present) and I've found no problems about the distance. Right now, mine is even working through a KVM switch and still works great (some of the features are not available to me because of the KVM though).
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 07:18 PM   #4
Major Player

I've been using the Logitech Wireless Desktop from the first model 5 years ago and upgraded it recently to the newest model and it is nothing less than perfect. I change batteries about every six months or so using Duracell Alkalines, the first set comes with the unit. The response is on par with its wired cousins and installation is a breeze, only problem is it doesn't have a light for caps lock and numlock so I sometimes it gets kinda hairy. The numlock\capslock will display a text message on the screen. "Caps Lock ON/OFF" depending on the condition and the same goes for the rest. The sroll wheel on the left side of the keyboard definitely helps since you don't need to take your hand off the keyboard to scroll down a page.
Old April 9th, 2003, 09:39 PM   #5
Wrangler

I use the Logitech cordless optical mouses--the kind with the wheel and the silver and translucent blue plastic top. The laser light doesn't shine through the interstitial space around the wheel and reflect off the monitor into your eye, which was what I hated about all the first Microsoft optical mouses.

This mouse runs on 2 AA batteries. Disposable alkaline batteries last about three weeks in them. Rechargable NiMH last about a week. So long as you have four times the number of rechargable batteries as you do mouses, it's never a hassle. Just do a quick swap and recharge the set that's not in the mouse. When they're recharged put them in your desk drawer for the next swap.

These mouses are precise enough for graphics and editing work but not responsive enough for gaming. (I know because I used to be a Minesweeper addict.) If the receiver satellite is placed near your monitor, these mouses will work over the range of your desktop, but not too much further.

My only complaint with these mouses is they tend to go to sleep when not in use. You have to click a button or give them a gentle bang to wake them up.

I use two of them right next to one another with no interference. Sometimes I think I can feel the radio energy permeating my hand. It's not as bad as with a cell phone--and I can definitely feel that--but I think I can feel it. If I ever get cancer of the fingernails I'll know why.

I would probably use cordless keyboards as well, but I am very much endeared to my early-'90s era NMB Erase-Eaze keyboards with the backspace key under the left thumb. I have tried and tried to find replacement keyboards with such a feature for when these ones wear out, but to no avail. If anyone has seen keyboards out there with left-thumb backspace keys, do let me know...

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 10:28 PM   #6
Major Player

Robert, which Logitech model do you have? The older models weren't that great for gaming but the MX series are an improvement, with the MX700 at the top of Logitech's product line for optical, cordless mice. Of course I think a corded mouse is still best but from what I've read the MX700 comes the closest.

Some reviews:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...,624071,00.asp

(Lots of pictures here)

http://www.ocaddiction.com/reviews/i...ogitech_mx700/

As for a keyboard, I don't know of any manufacturers that produce a wireless editing one, like those offered for Avid or Final Cut, so I stick with the cord in this regard.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 10:35 PM   #7
Wrangler

M-RM67A.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 10:36 PM   #8
Wrangler

I have a Microsoft Multimedia Wireless keyboard and mouse as well. Got it for Christmas and love the hell out of it.

Mouse requires new batteries every 2 months or so.
The keyboard hasn't needed new batteries yet (since Christmas).

I was worried it wouldn't be any good for gaming, as I take my games very seriously, but it works flawlessly.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC