Do video cards matter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 8th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Do video cards matter?

I'm still looking of a laptop and don't really understand the importance of graphics cards. Everyone says you need a good one for gaming. I don't game but do edit and use the laptop as a external monitor. Should I worry about a dedicated graphics card?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Some of the newer, higher end graphics cards will help with 3D rendering as well as provide video acceleration.

Here's a thread I started in the wrong forum :
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=85557
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis
Some of the newer, higher end graphics cards will help with 3D rendering as well as provide video acceleration.

Here's a thread I started in the wrong forum :
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=85557
3d rendering as in animation?

What does video acceleration mean?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #4
Trustee

If you limit yourself to a recent video card with dedicated memory, not shared, you can't go wrong for editing. The video acceleration means that the capabilities of the GPU are used for some effects and that means faster rendering in comparison to using only the CPU.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #5
Inner Circle

3d rendering as in seeing 3d titles and effects in real time while you're editing. Graphic acceleration in that video playback is smoother, less 'stuttering' or dropped frames when you have dedicated ram instead of borrowing ram while playing back several layers of video.

Each NLE has different requirements and makes differnt demands on the video card. Make sure you check to see if their are specific requirements for the NLE you wish to cut on.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC