Ripping DVDs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 24th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Ripping DVDs

How can I rip dvds into a single file? I have several projects burned in a dvd format to disk. So far, whenever I take .vob files from disk I get some green pixelation between the seperate .vob's. How can I fix this?
Jason White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #2
Major Player

if you can find dvd decrypter posted anywhere, it'll combined the vobs into one file when it rips (if you select the right option).. post back if you find it (someone else seemed to find it recently although I thought it was purchased by macrovision and taken out of commission.). of course, you still need to observe all copyright laws w/ any dvds you have.
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks. These are all my projects. I have DVDShrink. There is an option to create just one file.

I'm having another problem that has been really frustrating. Anyone know how to copy a disk that has been written in an open gop format? I have some older disks that were created by a sony dvd recorder. Whenever I shrink or decrypter them, the created .vob file is the correct size but only plays for about 30 seconds before stopping. Even when I import the file into Premier, it is only about 30 sec on the timeline and as I play it through it will jump to spots throughout the course of the show and then end.

Any ideas?
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason White
Thanks. These are all my projects. I have DVDShrink. There is an option to create just one file.

I'm having another problem that has been really frustrating. Anyone know how to copy a disk that has been written in an open gop format? I have some older disks that were created by a sony dvd recorder. Whenever I shrink or decrypter them, the created .vob file is the correct size but only plays for about 30 seconds before stopping. Even when I import the file into Premier, it is only about 30 sec on the timeline and as I play it through it will jump to spots throughout the course of the show and then end.

Any ideas?
which model sony dvd recorder?
Old January 26th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Off Subject

Its kind of humorous...... We have the 2003 Heisman trophy winner Jason White and The NBA Commissioner Dave (David) Stern on this one thread. Dvinfo.net is bringing in the big dawgs now..... :-}
Commandment #11- "Thou shalt Render as thou goest."

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Prov. 1:7)
Bryon Akerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

You see there is life after the spotlight. Trying to finish this highlight reel before the start of the 07 season. haha.

The player is a sony RDR-GX7.
Old January 27th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I just tried to copy and paste the .vob files from the disks to my harddrive thinking that would solve the problem. I then rename them to .mpg. And I get the same thing.

There must be something wrong with just rename the files? But I have done this before with other disks created by encore with no problem.
Old January 27th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
I'm having another problem that has been really frustrating. Anyone know how to copy a disk that has been written in an open gop format? I have some older disks that were created by a sony dvd recorder. Whenever I shrink or decrypter them, the created .vob file is the correct size but only plays for about 30 seconds before stopping. Even when I import the file into Premier, it is only about 30 sec on the timeline and as I play it through it will jump to spots throughout the course of the show and then end. Any ideas?
I have recently encountered the exact same issue. My client gave me a mini DVD, video filmed with a DVD camcorder. The footage was about 15 minutes long (he told me) and when copied to the hard drive, the file size was right... but it only played back the first 30 seconds - that was the length displayed by several players (WinMedia Player, Classic Player), and when imported into Premiere, it also played only the first 30 seconds.

Long story short, I fixed it with MPEG Streamclip, it has a feature called "fix broken timecode". It actually detects that the time code is broken and gives you the suggestion to fix it. Same software will also join your files. Just Google it, it's freeware.
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
The player is a sony RDR-GX7.
interesting..I've ripped probably several hundred disks I've burned on the same recorder (dvd transfers) and have never had any issues. I've used DVDLab to author, and it does give a warning about open gop format, but they all play fine. maybe the stream fixer will help (theres one in dvd lab pro too, but I've never needed to use it). post back what happens when you fix the stream.
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #10
Regular Crew

MPEG streamclip detects the breaks and fixes them. I save the file. It will only play in WinDVD but gets alittle jerky about every 30 secs or so and skips around like I've said above in Premier. If I open the file again in streamclip, it says the timecode is still broken.

Dave, what are you using to rip your disks?

I don't think the person who did these burns used any dvd authoring software. Just exported from Premier 5.1 to the sony. Possible that there is no timecode at all?
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #11
Regular Crew

It is working fine. MPEG Streamclip did the trick. I had to correct the timecode of the .vob and then convert to mpg. Thanks everyone.
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
<snip> Dave, what are you using to rip your disks?
an old copy of DVD decrypter...since these dvd's are all ones I've created out of non-copyright source (e.g not network programming or similar), I am ok w/ copyright.

I typically rip them into one single program stream for the entire disk, trim the ripped stream (mpeg video wizard), then author with those (dvdlab pro)...
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I'm still having some problems with ripping some disks. For some reason in certain parts I'm getting jumpy/laggy/skippy video. From the disk they play fine, but get jumpy in the same spots after shrinking.

I have another that plays fine. But when I shrink it I get a lot of green blocks across the screen and then the green goes away and it is just blocky.

Any ideas? Its seems that this ripping is very unforgiving.
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #14
Major Player

that's odd... if the disk plays ok, it's probably not the ripping itself (e.g. copying from DVD media to your hard drive) that's the issue, but something else.

yo mention shrink..do you mean dvd shrink? If so, and you're using shrink to copy a dvd, most likely it's re-encoding the disk. in which case, it sounds like its something in the mpeg stream.

I woudn't think you want to re-encode the materials though.

what process and software and what steps are you using to do what you are doing?
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I have tried DVD shrink and DVD decrypter with the same results. All of the settings are at default.

The video will stop at certain spots, the audio will continue, then the video will snap to where it should be. Here's alittle tidbit. If I autoplay the disk, the video will play fine throughout. If I play the individual .vob files from disk, they will glitch.
Jason White is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC