Ripping DVDs - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 8th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #16
Major Player

but VOB files aren't intended to be played directly.

what happens when you rip the DVD w/ decrypter in IFO mode.. on the stream tab, you can select either stream or demux ... when you play the resulting mpeg2 file on your PC does that skip as well?
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #17
Inner Circle

DVDDecrypter is hacker tool to remove protection from copyrighted DVD.
Basically it makes a copy of the DVD without the protection, and is useless if your source is not encrypted
In this way it would no help for converting vob into another format.
There are many conversion tools that can translate your vob files into mpg, avi or any video format you want.
Among the best are MaxDVDtoAvi ,total video converter, Imtoo, Canopus Procoder, or some other that simply merge vob or mpeg files into one.
google on " DVD rip" and you will find thousand of them.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois
DVDDecrypter is hacker tool to remove protection from copyrighted DVD.
Basically it makes a copy of the DVD without the protection, and is useless if your source is not encrypted
In this way it would no help for converting vob into another format.
There are many conversion tools that can translate your vob files into mpg, avi or any video format you want.
Among the best are MaxDVDtoAvi ,total video converter, Imtoo, Canopus Procoder, or some other that simply merge vob or mpeg files into one.
google on " DVD rip" and you will find thousand of them.
Giroud - I will have to respectfully disagree with this, and perhaps you are thinking of a different tool, because I think some of the facts are not accurate.

DVD decrypter will take your dvd content and parse it into individual files or single mpeg streams, either program streams or elementary streams. it does not require your source to be 'encrypted', as I used it regularly for ripping dvd's I created myself on my dvd recorder, which are certainly not 'encrypted' (thus I had a real time hardware encoder - encode, then rip the dvd to have the mpeg stream, which was nicely encoded by the recorder in real time).

but, it does exactly that - extracts the mpeg from your VOB files, so I'm not sure why you say it doesn't.

in terms of being a 'hacker tool', well a knife can be the tool of a murder or a chef. I'm sure that hackers did use it to illegally rip commercial DVDs, but it has many other purposes. and, for what it's worth, it's not clear to me that it's use is still permitted. it was purchased by macrovision I believe and taken off the market (probably due to macrovision concerns of it breaking their encoding). I don't know whether someone who obtained the software before its rights were purchased by macrovision would still be entitled to its use. but, distrubuting it would be illegal, and certainly breaking copyright laws in any form is illegal.

there are now more tools to deal with vob files than there were a few years ago, probably owing to the DVD based camcorders among other things. I think even nero might be able to deal with vob files.

anyway I hope this helps clarify things.
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Sorry for the delay. Carnival season just started down here.

Dave, the resulting .vob files where skipping but once I demuxed them they played just fine. Can I make the results .vob files into .mpg files with decrypter?

If I demux, the video will be m2v.
Jason White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason White
Sorry for the delay. Carnival season just started down here.

Dave, the resulting .vob files where skipping but once I demuxed them they played just fine. Can I make the results .vob files into .mpg files with decrypter?

If I demux, the video will be m2v.

no worries! I figured you were playing with the files, and I think I've seen the VOBs skip when mpegs won't (since they are not the same).

The only use of decrypter I've had in getting mpegs is from all the files from a whole DVD (either on a disk or on the hard drive), e.g. AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders with all of the IFO, BUP files, etc. I've never tried (nor am I sure whether it will) be able to convert a single VOB file to an mpeg.

when you do convert, on the stream processing tab, you can select demux or not, but you need to click on the stream in order for the radio button to work.

good luck w/ this!
Dave Stern is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC