What NLE for older system at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 11th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Trustee

What NLE for older system

Setting up an old system for a friend -1gig Athlon- once my old video editing PC. He has just got a DV cam and wants to play around. It has been awhile since I edited at this level (moved on to HDV and various other lossless codecs) and want to recommend some software to him that is lean/fast/simple is compatible with older CPU's. Premiere 6.5 was the last NLE I used on that system, but that may be a bit much for him, and I don't know what other software has developed since then that will play well on old hardware.
Any idea's?
Old February 11th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #2
Major Player

I woudl suggest Vegas.

I've been an Avid editor forever and just got my hands on Vegas 6 to see what it was like. It's "different" and sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees (like how to fade a text clip in and out, I kept trying to add an effect instead of just grabbing the handle.) Many have said its intuitive to the uninitiated.

I have to say with my limited exposure so far, I like it.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks for the reply. No restrictions on older hardware with Vegas? Anyone know what version is best suited to a 1Ghz XP system?

Tried to find out myself with no luck. In doing so I noticed the price. Ouch! This isn't what I'm looking for. The key point of my first post is, "He has just got a DV cam and wants to play around." Heavy emphasis on play! Buying software that is worth 3X the system doesn't make sense here. I need simple simple simple, but not utterly lacking in any features. You know a step above Windows movie maker (although I have never used this software) and under $100. Preferably even less.
Old February 11th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Vegas will run on just about anything-I've used it on a P3 750 machine with 128 RAM and a 40gig FW HDD. Certainly not ideal but other than the render time being outlandish it ran just fine. IF you can still get Version 6 that should be fine UNLESS your friend is looking to do HD then you really need Ver 7 or if 6 isn't there anymore then you're limited to 7-
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

If you're "playing around", check out Vegas Movie Studio Platinum - it's more in the range of other consumer stuff and works much the same as the full version... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #6
Major Player

Vegas or Edius.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #7
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hodson
Thanks for the reply. No restrictions on older hardware with Vegas? Anyone know what version is best suited to a 1Ghz XP system?

Tried to find out myself with no luck. In doing so I noticed the price. Ouch! This isn't what I'm looking for. The key point of my first post is, "He has just got a DV cam and wants to play around." Heavy emphasis on play! Buying software that is worth 3X the system doesn't make sense here. I need simple simple simple, but not utterly lacking in any features. You know a step above Windows movie maker (although I have never used this software) and under $100. Preferably even less.

Maybe an older version of Pinnacle that someone still has sitting around? (I might still have one if you'd like me to look for it.)

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #8
Trustee

Thanks for the offer, very kind of you. Should be fine though. I will tell him what his options are and he can pick what he wants. I might just dig out my Premiere 6.5, and he can pick between that an Windows movie maker.
Cheers
Old February 14th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Premiere Elements, I believe might meet the price point??? Isnt' that a stripped down version of Premiere?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #10

No ifs ands or buts, Vegas is not hardware dependent and will work well on just about any system. For DV work, I found Vegas 4 to be rock stable and a joy to work with. If you need HDV capability, move up to vegas7
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #11
Major Player

You can still get vegas 6 from B&H for $99...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
John Hartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #12
Major Player

I think that Canopus Let's Edit kicks xxx for something like $100. Very simple. Very Fast. I think it rocks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC