Pinnacle: Proper way to backup files? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 21st, 2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Pinnacle: Proper way to backup files?

For some reason I just can't get it. After a project is rendered, completed and a copy of the final project is made as an mpeg file or VCD etc. using Pinnacle AV/DV...what are the steps to take the project off of the computer. I don't want to delete it in case I decide later on that I might want to redo the project/make changes to it, etc. I have captured footage and pictures that need to go so I can clean up the drive for more projects.

So, if someone can tell me the steps or where I can find this information...thank you!!!!
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Lisa,

I back all my stuff (original tapes and final projects) to MiniDV (X2), in addition to DVD's and Ram Disks. I store them in different places. Perhaps overkill, but I can always get back to them.

I generally go to tape (either MiniDV or D-8), then to Pana HardDrived DVD Recorders, then to DVD's and Ram Disks for Back Ups.

I use Pinnacle 9.4 and can render stuff to AVI, to output to tape, in addition to making the Primary DVD's.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:54 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Highest quality, other than just saving the .avi files directly to a DVD, is to output your final project back out to DV tape on your camera. Of course, you can always pile up hard drives, and they are getting cheaper as time goes on.... Best Buy had a 320 gig Western Digital for $109.00 this weekend...
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:13 AM   #4
Major Player

In Pinnacle I see that they have .stu files and auxillary files. I want to clear these files off of the computer but clear them in such a way that I can put them back on the drive later in case I want to change scenes or re-edit the project in some way.

If I take the project to dvd or tape then the complete project is saved so that I always have the project to view...but what about the .stu files under Pinnacle folder as well as the auxillary files and video project file? I don't think I understand what part of the project goes to .stu and what part goes to auxillary etc so if I take off these files do I just copy and paste the file folders onto cd for backup? This is the part that I can't understand for some reason is the actual file folders to delete off computer but want to come back later to re-edit.

Also, if a project is rendered onto CD, then I delete the files on computer for this same project but later pop in the CD with the project....will it open in Pinnacle where the transitions and other edits can be changed?

What is the auxillary file used for? .stu? And, if I used any pictures in the project then I will have to save these pics and put them back in the same file later in order to re-edit, correct?

Again, thank you!
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:26 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Those are question I ve had in past, but really haven't chased down either.

In my case, once I have a project done, I usually wouldn't come back to it again. But, if I had that issue, I would want every thing on the project in one folder on a backup drive, like a USB drive, or slide out drive. I haven't explored whether you can put the .stu files in that folder, but I seem to remember that capability is there to have .stu files stored whereever you want it. The real issue, in my mind, is storing the actual video files on a large project. You might be prone to try to save everything you captured, so you could edit at any point in your process, but if you are working with 5 or six hours of tape for a 45 minute project, you are looking at storing a lot of captured footage. In that situation, I tend to render clips as separate files, saving those for the final complilation and edit.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Chris,

Once you make your backup copy, what do you do with the .stu and auxillary files that are on your computer? Do you just delete these after you made your self a copy of the project? That's what I think I'm going to do. I like Pinnacle, great program but the manual doesn't seem to address this issue and I really didn't have any luck finding it on their site.

Thank you
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC