closed captioning distribution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 24th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #1
Major Player

closed captioning distribution

I didn't see this topic anywhere on this site ~

I'd like to distribute :30 commercials to television stations in Quicktime movie format on DVD.

But I'd also like to include closed-captioning, too.

I realize each station will have differing capabilites - I'm in a relatively large market - many stations nowadays digitize all content and then automatically air it off of a server

So my questions:

1) Is there some way to include closed captioning in a QT file? (I don't think so)

2) Is there a way to send a seperate closed captioning file that the station can digitize and link to run with the commercial?

3) Is there another format that would be better? Like burning the commercial as a DVD movie with closed captioning including - can a television station digitize a DVD movie with the CC stream included?

I'm going to speak with the stations involved, but I wanted to have some idea of what's typically involved.

Thanks.

Bob
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi there, you might have already seen this but provides a good basic understanding of CC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_captioning

I expect every TV station is different, but I would expect most would want to ingest the video and closed captions separate. As you say your best bet is to talk to the TV station your footage will be broadcast on - You will then have a definative answer.

Let us know what they suggest.

Cheers,
Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:16 AM   #3
Major Player

I received replies from two TV stations saying they only accept commercial spots on Beta SP or Beta SX videotapes - or through a digital distribution company like DG Fast Channel (which I believe delivers the spots along with the scheduling information to the station's traffic department)

Not what I wanted to hear.
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC