Edit .m2v File??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 26th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #1
Trustee

Edit .m2v File???

I have a project in which the video is available only as an .m2v DVD file.
I need to do edit cuts, add/insert some graphics, and replace the sound track. It's fairly basic stuff.
I would like to do this edit directly on the m2v file, as opposed to decompressing the mpeg, transcoding to avi, edit, recompress, etc.
Does anyone know of software, or plug-in (for PPro 2.0) that will allow me to do this?
Thanks
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Major Player

But if you just go ahead and convert it to something visually equal you can do whatever you want, then spit it back out. I don't think you can hack away at an .m2v (effectively)...
Old February 26th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #3
Trustee

Well, that's the question- can you hack away at mpeg2. You certainly can do it with HDV m2t files- in PPro, FCP, etc. I'm just wondering if there is software for m2v as well.
The problem with converting from the original acquired DV to m2v (the file I have) to DV and back to m2v again, for DVD delivery- the problem is whipsawing the color sampling between 4:1:1 to 4:2:0 and back again several times.
I think the image resolution will hold to an acceptable level, but I am concerned re the color.
If I can edit in m2v, then output to DVD, I won't be tampering with the color sampling. In fact, the only part of the m2v that would get recompressed at all would be the edit point areas.
Old February 26th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Wrangler

Robert,

If you were going to take the .m2v to a different codec for editing, I would suggest going to 10bit uncompressed, making the edits, then going back to m2v. This should help preserve chroma resolution during the transcode.

I won't swear to it, but I think you can sometimes rename the .m2v to .mpg and edit it that way. MPEG streamclip will let you do some basic editing.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks for the ideas Greg.
I think Streamclip will only cut the video on the I frame- it's like really, really basic. I don't think it would handle a 60 min commercial project.
Editing uncompressed is a great idea- I'm not sure if PPro can do it, but After Effects can.
The low road would be to take analog component out from the DVD and into an avi format. Would this be better/same/worse than digital conversion of the m2v file???
Old February 26th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You might look at TMPGEnc MPEG Editor 2.0:

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/pr...me20_spec.html
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young
The low road would be to take analog component out from the DVD and into an avi format. Would this be better/same/worse than digital conversion of the m2v file???
There is no way a digital to analog and then back to digital could possibly be better than staying all digital. I did some testing with the following method: import the VOBs into MPEG Streamclip, export as mpeg (all this does is get rid of the extra information contained in the vob file, like subtitles, multiple languages). Run this mpeg file through VirtualDub-MPEG and decompress to whatever you can afford space-wise... all the way up to uncompressed. Then take this file and edit it all you want.

I got very good results!
Old February 27th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #8
Regular Crew

M2V - easy with Avid Liquid

Avid Liquid edits M2V as default.
I use it daily. No problems
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #9
Inner Circle

try womble, its an mpg2 nle with smartrendering.. its free
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #10
Trustee

Same thing as above, Liquid edits M2V natively. I also believe Vegas does too. It is better to do a native edit than convert it and loss information. Pinnacle Studio Plus V10.x should do the same as Liquid.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
try womble, its an mpg2 nle with smartrendering.. its free
FYI Womble is NOT free.
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Both TMPGEnc and Womble have free trials. Either one would probably do the job, for cutting and joining with minimal re-encoding.
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #13
Inner Circle

As I understand it, .m2v files are nothing more than "video only" .mpeg files. As I also recall, Pinnacle 10 Plus actually captures HDV as an .m2v file, and edits that file natively, with a separate linked audio track. I will double check that this evening. In any event, I also believe I have been able to edit .m2v files directly in Premiere Pro 2.0, so I am not sure what the issue is.

Of course if you are going to do a lot of color correction, and are going to do a lot of heavy editing, I think it is adviseable to reencode to something more editable like Cineform
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #14
Inner Circle

.m2v files are indeed just MPEG-2 video streams (not muxed with an audio stream).
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #15
Trustee

Chris- actually, I just got the word from David Newman that Cineform Aspect HD Link will convert 480i .m2v into Cineform 480i 4:2:2 .avi.
This is the way to go.
Using Cineform, I should be able to go from .m2v to .avi and back to .m2v without resampling the color to a different matrix each time, which was my main concern.
I had actually tried this, but HD Link wouldn't process the .m2v. David gave me the "file selection" procedure that works.
Thanks all.
Robert Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC