HDV codecs for the PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD(V) codecs for the PC

I have some HDV 1080p movies that were produced in FCP.
I need to get them to the AVI format for use on a PC.
Where can I get codecs for the PC to make this happen?
Does AVI support 1080p and/or HDV.

I am really having a difficult making this happen. I've converted the .movs to AVI, but getting them to play on a PC is a difficult task as I am running into "missing codecs".
I have a very hefty PC with a ATI 1950 card.

Thanks
Steven
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I have some HDV footage (m2t) here on my work PC and did some quick testing. Using MPEG Streamclip (free for both Windows and OSX) I converted the HDV footage first to 1920x1080.mov, than took that and converted it into Apple Motion JPEG, also 1920x1080.avi. Windows Movie Maker was capable of ingesting it with some conforming (realtime), so this workflow should work for you too (of course, if you use a real NLE, it won't resize it automatically to 720x480 as MM did).

I do have QuickTime Alternative installed, so that's probably the source of the codec used by Windows in this case. Logically thinking, if you have either QT or QT Alternative installed on that PC, then the PC should recognize an Apple Motion JPEG video file. If your footage is not an Apple Motion JPEG, you could try using MPEG Streamclip to convert it.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Transcode them to VC1 (WMV). That should work.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC