No clear consensus, need adivce - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:04 AM   #16
Major Player

Thanks to everyone for all the great input so far.

Michael I have look at the SATA drives @10,000 rpm 36 gig. Happen to find them yesterday. I think I'm going to pick one up (been buying through newegg.com also, love the $2.99 same day shipping, have placed 2 orders this week alone) This Asus mainboard, can run both IDE, and SATA. I've decided I'm going to run the 36 gig SATA drive as my primary (OS, and Programs) and then I'm going to run 2 120 gig 7200rpm sata drives in RAID 0 for my video capture. I think the 36 gig drive will be plenty of space for me (I'm not a gamer), and if I had to I could ad another one, or another IDE drive.

As far as the studio Monitor and external amp go, I was going to go that route for a couple of reasons, I wanted to use a pair of Yamah NS10's, but I just found out they have discontinued production of them (Being here in Nashville I've been in a few Pro studios, and I can't remember a one that didn't have a pair), also I want to use an external amp so that I might have the option of sampling sound on different types of speakers (pro monitors, boxed up car speakers, etc.) I am partners in a rock band (www.fransmantra.com) and we have a home studio where we do all our own demos (studio is not really good enough for anything more than demos) And that's how our monitor set up is, now that might be alittle overkill for a NEL set up, but as I've posted in another thread, I'm having delusions of Kevin Smith grandure, and I was planning on adding a Pro tools setup later down the road (Digi 002).

Now as far as color production monitor goes, I will most likely get a Sony (if money is right) or JVC, think I'll go with a 9" so I can carry it along with me and use while filming. Don't know when I will pick up a VTR, but I will sometime befor ethe end of the year, haven't started looking fully into them.

But as far as the Video card goes, I'm still undecided, but closer, I'll have to make up my mind by the weekend, and I want to have this baby up and running by end of next week.

Any how, thanks again to all
Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:17 PM   #17
Regular Crew

External Amps

Jeff,

I have an old Harman AVR70. It isn't 5.1 but it has the power to push nice speakers so I can get the "real" noise vs the cheap talk from those little desk top thingies. I also run it with my Mackie 1202. Plus I can take the video in and out to another monitor or plasma and control A/V seperate.

A good rag to read is www.systemscontractor.com

The also have residential contractor.

I like to watch those for the new product reviews. They don't get into the NLE stuff but they do discuss interesting stuff.

evc@starband.net
Bob Deming is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC