filming freeway lights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 13th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #1
New Boot

filming freeway lights

how would i go about filming about 2 minutes of cars on a freeway at night so their taillights and headlights are streaming??
would it be a sped up shot? certain shutter speed? please help
Ryan Tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm assuming you're shooting DV? If so, adjust your shutter and aperature to get the look you want. If you want two minutes of sped up tail/head lights then I would suggest you shoot the free way for about 15-30 minutes. Then in your editing suite speed up accordingly. I shot a highway (unfortunately it wasn't busy enough to get the look exactly right) for about 30 minutes to get a 4 minute time elapse.

Its a trial and error process. I've done some freeway time elapse/ and slow motion with video and 16mm, they're two different processes.
Nate Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #3
Trustee

Not sure what camera you are using, but I would hope it has a variable shutter, so you can select a shutter angle of 180º - 210º or better.
You might give Kodak Vision 2 500T a try for night shots.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #4
New Boot

thanks a lot
yes im shooting dv
im using a panasonic dvx100a

i dont understand about the 180-210 degrees..could you explain a little what you mean..

thanks again
Old September 13th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Tate View Post
thanks a lot
yes im shooting dv
im using a panasonic dvx100a

i dont understand about the 180-210 degrees..could you explain a little what you mean..

thanks again
You indicated that you would be filming, so I was giving instruction to shoot film.

In the future if you are really shooting video, you might make that clear up front to avoid confusion!
Old September 13th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
You indicated that you would be filming, so I was giving instruction to shoot film.

In the future if you are really shooting video, you might make that clear up front to avoid confusion!
sorry. i meant videotaping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:

Well David, this is Digital Video Information Network after all, so most, including me, assume video. People tend to say 'footage' no matter what media they record on, yet we all know that's a film term carried over. (grin)

@Ryan

You need a slow shutter so that there is lots of motion blur in each frame. Then you'll need to record for at least an hour. After that, load it up in your NLE and speed it up.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Well David, this is Digital Video Information Network after all, so most, including me, assume video. People tend to say 'footage' no matter what media they record on, yet we all know that's a film term carried over. (grin)

@Ryan

You need a slow shutter so that there is lots of motion blur in each frame. Then you'll need to record for at least an hour. After that, load it up in your NLE and speed it up.

-gb-
appreciate it thanks alot

david-lighten up, im gonna go FILM with my digital camera
Old September 13th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #9
Trustee

Greg,
Ryan did not say "Footage" he said "Filming"
There are plenty of people here that shoot video,
but are new to shooting film.
I didn't know if that was the case, and he needed advice.

Because in film you want a higher shutter number,
while in video you want a smaller shutter number to get the effect he asked about.
Old September 13th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Ryan did not say "Footage" he said "Filming"
No he didn't, I did. I used that example to illustrate how some terminology has carried over from the days of when all motion was captured with film.

Anyway, I think Ryan's headed in the right direction now, regardless of terminology.

Also for Ryan:

Shutter angle is a term applied to true film cameras. The standard shutter angle is 180 degrees because each standard 24fps of film is exposed twice using a mechanical shutter that make two complete revolutions for each frame. A 180 degree shutter exposes the film for 180 degrees of each 360 degrees of rotation. Half open, half closed. In video this is equal to an electronic shutter of 1/48 second at 24 frames per second. When the film is projected, it too has a mechanical shutter that shows each frame of film twice. This double flashing has the effect of helping our eyes to perceive smooth motion.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Just a little history lesson about DV Info Net... important for all...

Not long after this forum started, we had a member here once who got a little bent out of shape about the tendency of folks to apply the term "filming" to videotape acquisition. To make a long story short, we acknowledged the fact that definitions and terminology have a tendency to change, and the ruling we handed down was that "filming" was indeed an acceptable way to describe shooting on videotape. The person that raised such an outcry over the use of that word was summarily booted from the community. Anybody harboring a similar hang-up is strongly urged to either reconsider, or seek refuge at some different forum other than DV Info Net.

Besides... in the strictest sense of the term, tape itself *is* a kind of film. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #12
Inner Circle

You could always do a time lapse sequence with a still camera and generate a video from them, I've seen some of these that look fantastic. Might not be quite the look you're after but they can be really interesting

http://www.granitebaysoftware.com/ga...rcast%20Sunset
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #13
Trustee

Simple: enable motion-blur in your editing application. However, the best way to do this is with an optical-flow retiming plug-in like revisionfx reelsmart motion blur (get a load of the video on their home page).

Best of luck.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion