Defragging external hard drives at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 21st, 2008, 08:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Defragging external hard drives

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong section (please move it to the appropriate section, thanks!), but I just wanted to know if anyone is using a defrag program that quickly and efficiently defrags external hard drives?

I'm currently trying to defrag a 1TB external Western Digital HDD (USB only). (Tried it last night, but was stuck at 18% defrag; then performed a Disk Check, then defragged again; it actually said it "defragged" the files, but upon looking, there are still big chunks of file needing to be defragged.)

I've downloaded a free program that worked great for internal drives, but the program doesn't seem to recognize the external ones. Yikes! (Guess I might have to fork over for a defrag program)

I've also read NOT to defrag external hdds, as there is very little performance gained in doing so(???).

Thanks for any and all help and suggestions,

--JA
www.madjavaproductions.com
Jeff Anselmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff..........

Can't help with the defrag program for externals, tho' as you didn't say what operating system you have, no one could.

As for "not defragging externals", whomever propounded that theory needs a refresher course in disc management.

If it's clean, there are no seeks (or a lot less, anyway) and that's what stuffs up access times.

Get one (a defragger that works) and use it (lots).

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:18 AM   #3
Trustee

For windows i use Auslogics disk defrag,it's really fast,especially for vista which has a crap built in defrag.with auslogics defrag you can also select which drive you want defraged.Here's the link.
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software...efrag/download
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:31 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Since someone brought up the subject...

Could someone please tell us everyday PC users ), why is a third party program better than the built-in Windows defragger (I guess it's the same in Mac Land though) - other than maybe the option to run automatically when the computer is idle?

And Paul, what do you mean by "with auslogics defrag you can also select which drive you want defraged"? Any Windows OS can do that...

Thanks,
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:15 PM   #5
Major Player

windows does not compress files very well, and windows does not defrag pagefiles. most good defrag software will also need much less free space to operate.
Allen Plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:32 PM   #6
Trustee

Ervin,in Jeffs original post he states that he downloaded a program for defragging but the program only see's internal drives,not external drives,which i did think was strange but then i don't know what defragging program he's using.
Auslogics is free to download,and has a drop down list of your pc's drives.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:38 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Allen & Paul, thank you for your replies - I have to confess, I was ignorant when it comes to defragmenting... I thought Microsoft should know how Windows operates best.

I have noticed that sometimes after defragmenting there are still some fragmented files left, so that's probably because the built-in program is not the best... I will give Auslogics a closer look.

Thanks again for clarifying,
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:16 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo View Post
I'm currently trying to defrag a 1TB external Western Digital HDD (USB only). ...
I've downloaded a free program that worked great for internal drives, but the program doesn't seem to recognize the external ones. Yikes! (Guess I might have to fork over for a defrag program)

I've also read NOT to defrag external hdds, as there is very little performance gained in doing so(???).
I use a program for Windows called PerfectDisk www.raxco.com. Works very efficiently on my external drives and I do find a performance advantage if I keep them defragged. You do have to turn on permission at the OS level for any defrag program to work with externals as not all USB drives are well behaved but my WD drives work just fine with it.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:40 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Could someone please tell us everyday PC users ), why is a third party program better than the built-in Windows defragger
The built-in defragger is essentially a limited version of Diskeeper. Executive Software (now Diskeeper Corp.) worked in partnership with Microsoft to develop the defragmenter for NT-based Windows.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:57 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies!

Chris-
I'm on a PC platform, running XP at the moment. And agree with you wholeheartedly!

Paul-
Will look into auslogics soon.

Steve-
That's exactly the same program I downloaded from cnet (30 day trial). When I clicked on the PerfectDisk program, none of the externals came up. Would you mind sending me an email on how you gave "permission to the OS for any defrag program to work with externals"? That would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

--JA
Jeff Anselmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:42 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
I thought Microsoft should know how Windows operates best.
Whew, that's a scary thought. Microsoft knows best, and even though he thinks he's our father, he doesn't always know best. (thanks in advance to the aged who get that.)

I was under the impression that the software from WD will defrag as well, maybe that's a pipe dream and I need a good punch in the kisser to wake up.

As for degragging in general, I've heard two lines of thought; one; if it aint broke don't fix it and two; defrag after doing a large project. Since I'm still in the storage stage with a large collection of drives, I don't defrag my video drives, heck the sections of data are so large, that it would be like moving large bowling balls around in a bathtub.

Just some thoughts.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:15 PM   #12
Major Player

microsoft makes a huge amount of software, reasonably well. I am still amazed at how much nicer the free firefox browser is compared to microsofts internet explorer
Allen Plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:53 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Plowman View Post
microsoft makes a huge amount of software, reasonably well. I am still amazed at how much nicer the free firefox browser is compared to microsofts internet explorer
Microsoft *could* surpass the other browsers if they wanted to but then they'd be accused of abusing their market position even more than they are now.

Personally, I've never seen the benefit(s) of other browsers but then I'm funny that way. (Though I have just got an HDV camcorder thereby rendering my previous protestations about the format rather hypocritical!)
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 02:16 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo View Post
Steve-
That's exactly the same program I downloaded from cnet (30 day trial). When I clicked on the PerfectDisk program, none of the externals came up. Would you mind sending me an email on how you gave "permission to the OS for any defrag program to work with externals"? That would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

--JA
Email Sent
Old January 23rd, 2008, 02:18 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Email Sent
Steve, I believe that info is needed by many others here - could you please post it?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion