Platform/Software Forum? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 5th, 2002, 07:05 PM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Platform/Software Forum?

Hey Chris,

There always seem to be Mac or Windows questions popping up in different forums...and I'm always searching through posts for Mac issues. Any chance of adding another category to the board...something like "Platform/Software Forums"...with at least two boards included in it..."Mac 'n DV" and "Windows 'n DV." And maybe "FCP Issues" and any other popular programs?

Just an idea (don't say it, Adrian) ;)
Old March 5th, 2002, 08:14 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Indeed I have thought about this. I'd like to find someone well versed in Canopus systems to host a user forum here (I only drive 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work).

And there are tons of FCP sites already... www.2-pop.com and www.dvcreators.net -- however if somebody cared to moderate an FCP board, I'd be happy to add it.

By moderate, I mean at least respond to queries, something I'm not qualified for myself. I try to answer every unanswered post on the XL1 stuff, but even a few of those escape me sometimes. What kills message boards are unanswered posts and I have my hands full already just answering the few camera questions that the Inner Circle and Trustees don't get to (and that ain't many).

So, any volunteers? I can sure add such a board, but I couldn't baby-sit one. But if one of you guys is up to the task, let me know and it's a done deal.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2002, 08:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I would be happy to moderate a Final Cut Pro and/or Mac board. I certainly cannot respond to every query nor am I qualified to do so, but Macs and FCP are a passion of mine. My definition of "moderation" is to keep things in line, meaning no flaming, trolling and stuff like that. It also means moving certain topics to a more appropriate forum and deleting duplicate posts (like when someone accidentally presses the SUBMIT button twice in a row). Other than that I think this place pretty much runs itself.

If anyone else would like to moderate a Final Cut Pro and/or Mac forum, please nominate yourself or someone you think could do a good job. You may be more qualified than I am.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2002, 08:58 PM   #4

Joe,

From your posts I'm betting you have more technical expertise than me with Mac and FCP so I second your nomination. But rest assured I'd be able to help you out some with responses. Other Mac users like Ken would also jump in regularly, I'm sure.

Just to let you know you wouldn't be alone in this.
Old March 5th, 2002, 09:28 PM   #5

Joe,

I heartily also 2nd your nomination! You can certainly count on my support, too. I am also an avid FCP user (no pun intended) and between us all I'm sure we can -at least- point folks in the right direction.

---
I have yet another forum area suggestion for consideration:

Books & Tech Reference

Thesis: As DV continues its expansive penetration of the consumer, prosumer and professional markets a veritable landslide of books and other reference resources is also sliding into the market. Which ones are worth the effort and expense? Sure, folks could read folks' opinions on amazon and Barnes and Noble. But have you noticed that you rarely see keen, negative opinions for film and video books on these sites? I think our fellow visitors could benefit from a section that discusses these books and also provides a place (outside of the Announcements section) where visitors could post good site references and resources.

p.s. Hey, while writing this, Paul Doss just provided a great example of the kind of posts we would have in such an area!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1163

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2002, 11:56 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Well heck, I'd be happy to give all three of you moderator status.

;-)

Joe pretty much nailed the moderator function on the head, and if Ken and John don't mind assisting with answering queries, then that just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling all over.

I don't anticipate a tidal wave of questions though, and above all else, I don't want to compete with the other FCP resources out there. 2-pop is so massively huge but there is a lot of "noise" there. I really don't want to compete with my good friends at dvcreators.net either, but if y'all see some merit to doing this, I'd be happy to set it up.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how to reward you guys though. I'm just a volunteer myself around here.

I gotta get some forum performance issues solved first, then hopefully as early as tomorrow or the next day we can have this thing up and running if you guys are up for it.

Ken's other forum suggestion is noted... also thinking about adding a "film look" or "film feel" section or something along those lines. Pappas and I were talking about this just yesterday. There are plenty of existing posts to move into it. I still need to write the response I had promised to Joe a week ago.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2002, 12:12 AM   #7

<<The only thing I'm not sure about is how to reward you guys though.>>

Hmmm...How about footage of the MGD or Bud girls at the next sports event you attend around Austin? That'd do me fine. ;) [Guess I just went on the "N.O.W." black list]

Otherwise...I'm lurking around all the time anyway. Happy to chip in.

<<I don't want to compete with the other FCP resources out there. 2-pop is so massively huge but there is a lot of "noise" there. I really don't want to compete with my good friends at dvcreators.net either, but if y'all see some merit to doing this, I'd be happy to set it up. >>

I tell you what, Chris... I do visit other boards pretty often. But in those I'm usually just passing through. The thing I find so helpful about your forums here is, for one, the nice people (none of that usual digression that's so common) and also the fact that you've had the insight to divide the forums up by the equipment used. Extremely helpful.
Old March 6th, 2002, 05:18 AM   #8
Trustee

John, you're amazing! They just keep on flowing!!!!!!
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2002, 08:12 AM   #9
RED Code Chef

Sounds interesting in all... When I look at the forum overview
I see a lot of forums with no moderator behind it Chirs. You are
only mentioned behind the last couple of forums. Or is my browser
screwing things up? If you want a PC forum I'd be more than
happy to help out there.... or any other general/xl1/pc forum.

Keep up the good work!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2002, 09:15 AM   #10

<<The only thing I'm not sure about is how to reward you guys though.>>

None needed. I'm happy to be of help around here and enjoy learning and sharing this stuff witth others.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2002, 07:37 PM   #11
Trustee

Chris,

I'm more than happy to help any way I can. I've got a bit of extra time at the moment as my current contract has finished and my NLE system is dead.
Old March 6th, 2002, 11:38 PM   #12

Adrian,

Have a job lead in Tokyo, if you're interested. Catch me on MSN Messenger and I'll give you details.
Old March 7th, 2002, 12:04 AM   #13
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Redifer : I would be happy to moderate a Final Cut Pro and/or Mac board. I certainly cannot respond to every query nor am I qualified to do so, but Macs and FCP are a passion of mine. -->>>

Okay Joe, consider this your first unofficial FCP question.

We are mainly an Avid shop since we have two Media Composers and one Xpress (2 NT based, 1 Mac). I've been getting a little bit of pressure to at least look into buying FCP3. One of our editors has it installed in his Mac laptop. The temptation has been quite strong. But now that Avid has come out with the DV Xpress which boasts much the same features as FCP3 plus is transparent to our existing Avids, the temptation has turned into confusion.

As you might know the Avid crowd is as crazed as the FCP crowd but I've yet to meet one person who can give me a valid unbiased comparison. Aside from the fact that the DV Xpress is a few hundred dollars more than FCP, how would you compare them?
Old March 7th, 2002, 12:34 AM   #14
Trustee

Ozzie,

talk about dropping him in the deep end. However I'd like to hear the outcome as my PC sditing days are just about over for a number of reasons.
Old March 7th, 2002, 01:19 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Answer: Final Cut Pro is more fun! Honestly I've never used an Avid, but I've challenged myself with some pretty rigorous editing demands and I've always been able to make FCP work fine and dandy. I've never wished that it could do "this" or "that" that it doesn't already do. Granted, when they add new features I wonder how I could have lived without them. But Avid must clearly be inferior if even I have not used it ;) What do you think of Avid? Anything you wish it could do that it doesn't?

I think it's just a matter of personal preference.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; March 7th, 2002 at 01:33 AM.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion