New to filmmaking: I have a Sony DCR-TRV120 --- Opinions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 18th, 2003, 08:52 PM   #1
New Boot

New to filmmaking: I have a Sony DCR-TRV120 --- Opinions?

First off, I'm Brent Lumkin, 23, from Seneca, SC.

Ok, all my life I've loved film, however this past year or so I have found myself getting really into it, to the point that I am now ready to dive into the world of filmmaking. I've been writing for years, but I now want to get it on video and the such.

As you see in the topic, I have a small cam, but I am not very sure about it. Is this simple camera good enough to produce a few shorts and whatnot?

As a newbie to this world, what overall tips and suggestions could you give to me, not only in terms of visual and audio, but anything else you care to share.

I'm also going through plenty of the threads there, I just thought I'd start a thread to both introduce myself, and to have one thread that I could come back to here at the begining. Just ignore me if this is considered spam or too newbieish for this forum, heh.

Thanks a lot guys, it's appriciated!
Brent Lumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 10:12 PM   #2
Outer Circle

I'm not sure what you mean by shorts. For the web? Should be good enough for that. Welcome to the forums!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 10:14 PM   #3
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : I'm not sure what you mean by shorts. For the web? Should be good enough for that. Welcome to the forums! -->>>

By shorts, I mean...shorts, heh. Just simple 3-15 minute films for me to do in order to pratice with, pratice effects, lighting, and everything else.

Are there any lenses or other such equipment that you could suggest for me to look into also?

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Brent Lumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2003, 12:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Brent, welcome to the filmmaking world and to this forum too!

As for whether your camera is good enough or not, it's more than enough. What matters the most is the story that you want to tell or the idea/concept you want to convey/express.

Now, if you want to master the technical aspect of film/videomaking, you should get yourself a couple of books to start with and also practice/experiment a lot.

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2003, 12:15 AM   #5
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Stylianos Moschapidakis : Brent, welcome to the filmmaking world and to this forum too!

As for whether your camera is good enough or not, it's more than enough. What matters the most is the story that you want to tell or the idea/concept you want to convey/express.

Now, if you want to master the technical aspect of film/videomaking, you should get yourself a couple of books to start with and also practice/experiment a lot. -->>>

Do you have any books or the such that you would recomend yourself?

Also, again, what type of lenses and other such of "add on" equipment should I be learning more about, and looking in to?

Once again, thanks for the warm welcome. You'll be seeing a lot of me around here now, as I learn more and more about this fantastic art!
Brent Lumkin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion