1/48th to 1/24th - is it worth it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 28th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #1
Major Player

1/48th to 1/24th - is it worth it?

The pathway of least resistance : Why bother setting up another light if you can gain a half stop simply and immediately by adjusting the shutter angle to 1/24th.

Is this contrary to 24p motion?
Is this discernible to the average viewer?

Thanks.
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

In 24p mode you are already getting some motion blur ( which looks like film at 1/48th shutter speed.) When you drop down to 1/24 you are basically turning the shutter off because it matches your frame rate. Thus you will get much more motion blur than you want. For static shots this may be ok but for any movement it will be very noticeable over the 1/48th shutter speed stuff you shot. I suggest not ever going below 1/48th in 24p and bring in more light. Otherwise things become too dreamlike in a way(too much motion blur). Maybe that's the look your going for?
Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #3
Major Player

I stick with 1/48th but have been asking since some of the smaller canon avchd cameras lock the shutter at 24th in cine mode now, unlike the older hv20 did at 48th I am not a fan of the extra blur it captures in anything but an effect shot.
Old May 28th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #4
Major Player

In limited run-n-gun circumstances I'll always opt for 1/24th for a better exposed image. Regardless of blur, if people cannot see the subject, the shoot is moot.

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Major Player

true, but then if its all blurry it may not be easy to watch and perhaps gain would have been the better option. A noisy shot that is lit and sharp is still more appealing than a blurry one. But if adding a little light would help the situation that can solve all three issues at once.
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

"In limited run-n-gun circumstances I'll always opt for 1/24th"

I second that. Beats going crazy with the gain. Doing it for dramatic stuff though is just plain lazy.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #7
Major Player

Well....look at it this way....from what I understand...Michael Mann let's the camera drop down to 1/24 shutter at times. If it's good enough for him.....I don't see why it can't be good enough for you...but I guess it all depends on the shot.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. Thompson View Post
Well....look at it this way....from what I understand...Michael Mann let's the camera drop down to 1/24 shutter at times. If it's good enough for him.....I don't see why it can't be good enough for you...but I guess it all depends on the shot.
But then again film cameras have adjustable shutter angles which allow you to shoot at 1/24th. With dv you are stuck....
Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:42 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
But then again film cameras have adjustable shutter angles which allow you to shoot at 1/24th. With dv you are stuck....
I'm not quite sure I understand...my HV20 (like other DV cams) can shoot at 1/24th shutter speed...as a matter of fact even slower (something film cams can't do) to use as an effect. Depending on which mode I am shooting in, I have control over this.

Now whether that screams video or not....it is often used as a dreamy like effect. I've seen film do the same type of effects (in post production however).

Edit: By the way....1/24th shutter speed is not possible with film cameras.

Last edited by Ian G. Thompson; May 31st, 2008 at 11:44 AM.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:49 AM   #10
Inner Circle

"but I guess it all depends on the shot."

Well, yeah. If I was shooting a night scene I'd probably use 1/24th. It would just be too hard (and expensive) to properly light.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:57 PM   #11
Major Player

I would not use 24p in any 'run and gun' situation. You need to have controlled motion of both subject and camera to avoid smear at 1/24 or judder at 1/48.
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion