Why Panasonic..... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 27th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Why Panasonic.....

Here in India every one in the field uses Panasonic cams MiniDV (broad casting) rather than Canon though it's more versatile (what I feel), can any one tell the advantage of Panasonic over Canon.
I have XL2, which is giving me good results, & greatest advantage is using of EF tele lens for bird photography. I don't think this advantage of using 35mm lens on Panasonic cams is not possible.

Ashok
Ashok Mansur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #2
Major Player

Video cameras can be a personal decision as well as an issue of familiarity. Some will stick with Panasonic because it has been producing broadcast gear longer than Canon. Others have legacy equipment that will only work with one brand. Its the same issue with Nikon vs. Canon in still photography. They are always close in performance and features.

Unless you point out a specific camera, it is hard to make a blanket statement about which one is better. As a brand, they are both well regarded.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Still not convinced........

Thanks, but still I'm not satisfied with the statement; there must be some things Canon lacks in those areas Panasonic perfected.
Ashok Mansur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 04:01 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi again, Ashok...........

Knowing India as I do, I'd say Panasonic went to great lengths to sell into that market, which Canon did not.

You mention "Mini DV", which is not, to the best of my knowledge, "Broadcast" equipment in the West.

Even Canon does not produce "Broadcast" quality equipment here in the West (or anywhere else, for that matter).

I think what you are seeing is simply one manufacturer making greater inroads due to a much larger marketing budget and aggressive priceing.

The actual technical abilities of individual cameras is so much less of an issue in the amateur market (I use the term loosely, the camera's you talk of are not "profesional") and thus the bigger the budget, the more they'll sell.

There's also "fit and function" to consider.

I own a Panasonic Mini DV camera, it's a beut, best in it's class, as were most of the Panasonic dinky cams for the last 3 to 4 years.

Bang for buck, there was nothing to beat them.

Can it beat a XL2?

Get real.

But for what you pay, for SD, you get one heck of a lot of camera for not a lot.

Don't worry, Ashok, you've still got one heck of a camera system, and it'll beat the heck out of a Panna Dinky Cam, any day.

(You MAY want to think about one of the new HD Canons tho', think they're going to be pretty hot).

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Mansur View Post
Thanks, but still I'm not satisfied with the statement; there must be some things Canon lacks in those areas Panasonic perfected.
Ashok, any kind of purchase choice is usually about marketing rather than quality/features. Maybe Panasonic sponsors events there. Maybe the advertise locally where others don't. Maybe they've done something else to infiltrate the local culture.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:22 PM   #6
Trustee

And Pana has had a full line of SD/HD ENG style cams (big chip) for a long time. Thats not really Canon's market. They have a great rep in the indie/prosumer market, but not broadcast. Sony, JVC, Panasonic are well established in those areas.
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris, Dylan,Ken.
Ashok Mansur is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion