new thread for event guys and gals at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 20th, 2002, 11:50 AM   #1
New Boot

new thread for event guys and gals

Lets start a event photograper thread. I use xl-1s and laptops, imacs and usb still cameras. I work a lot of openings and display. Want to get into more complex on site processing and delivery via net in almost real time. Currently I am doing time lapse on the laptop with one of my xl-1s and run around and shoot the other event footage with the other. I am considering doing more but need other heads to bounce ideas off of. anyone?
bill zuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 12:53 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

WEVA

Hello Bill!

Are you familiar with the Wedding & Event Videographers Association? (www.weva.org) They seem to have quite extensive resources for your interests. I think they require membership for full access but it may be well worth your investment.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 06:45 PM   #3
Machinist Mate

Ken,
How'bout for those of who do everything BUT weddings? (fact is, they are just not my style!) I'm a corporate dude who does a bunch of run-and-gun of marketing-oriented events, which have little to do with the wedding scene--trust me, I know weddings from DJ'ing them.
Old March 20th, 2002, 09:31 PM   #4
New Boot

events

eggs actly, no weddings. Its an event that you can never be good enough for, as far as the bride is concerned. I do alot of store openings and one time events. You gotta get it and get a lot of it. I have no started editing on location but I am going to start. I also am thinking of making a laptop a server and using the fs-1, dv stream back to corporate headquarters so the wigs can see whats up in nearly real time. what say you
Old March 20th, 2002, 09:40 PM   #5

Sorry Bill. I misinterpreted your "event photography" expression. My faux paux. Please ignore.

It sounds like you work in retail marketing support? Are you a contractor for various retailers? Do you have a relatively generous budget for these store opening events?

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old March 21st, 2002, 07:22 AM   #6
New Boot

yeah

more like marketing support, internal news stories, we dub and uplink for news stations, we edit the events into short shows for investment banking or potential investors. Its a way of showing people that what is told is really happening. My budgets are quite small. Labor, airline, hotel etc. Equipt rental. Most of time I turn over the raw stock and someone else edits it. That is why I want to edit a little on location and on the way home on the plane.
Old March 21st, 2002, 01:48 PM   #7
Machinist Mate

Yep, that's my budget too. My hourly rate plus travel expenses. I don't guess the wedding guys have an inkling of what we do in the corporate environment

God bless you for wanting to edit on location. Usually when it's a wrap all I want to do is have a cocktail and chill out. But hey, maybe it's something to keep from dying of boredom on the plane. On that subject, I have to raise the question, now that the airlines have the new security rules, have you been successful in carrying on a cam AND a computer? They say it's limited to one "carry-on bag" (which is my camcorder in a Porta Brace bag) and a briefcase or purse. I could put a laptop in my briefcase, but haven't. Of course, the lights, mics, tripod etc. are in my luggage (that's one heavy suitcase, brother!).
Old March 21st, 2002, 02:39 PM   #8

I recently met a fellow named Gary Adcock here in Chicago who films concerts for the Dave Matthews Band and others. He talked about how he has "modified" Final Cut Pro to take up to 3 simultaneous streams of video and audio which enables him literally edit the shoot on the fly by switching between cameras live. At the end of a concert he puts the tape on a plane for European distribution. He was pretty proud of his rig.

I think he said his outfit is called Studio 37 but I'm sorry I don't have other contact info for you. He does Apple seminars on Final Cut Pro and related products in Chicago.

Old March 21st, 2002, 06:00 PM   #9
Machinist Mate

Hmmm. 3 simultaneous streams... this means 3 cameras, plus 3 cameramen plus himself to operate the computer equivalent of a studio switcher*, that's at least 4 people. Bigger budget than me 4 suree. I recently had to turn down someone who "volunteered" to be my production assistant on an on-location shoot in Vegas (meaning literally volunteering--for no pay--and she would have needed to take time off from her job) cuz the budget wouldn't flex enough for her air fare. (!!!) Dang!

*sounds like a sweet machine!
Old March 21st, 2002, 06:08 PM   #10
New Boot

cont

On the plane I carry a sony pc100, batt and tape, in a pelican case i have my xl-1 and etc. I can always shoot. I also travel a little ahead of time for just in case rentals. I do not want to edit the finished product. I intend to do the selects. God forbid I do the finished edit. I figure I will add about 250.00 for the selects. 50.00 if I burn it. I will let you know if it flys. I am looking for a smart hard drive, or a way to use my app on a laptop and store the media on a harddrive. Like something from Xybrnaut

regarding the Dave matthews fellow. I had that software, an Israeli group, does not work for me currently, i do not need that many streams.

Off to a time lapse, First paying one. yeah

Peace bro's
Old March 21st, 2002, 06:38 PM   #11
Machinist Mate

Yeah, on some shoots I just have no interest in doing the edit, just hand off the tapes and get out of Dodge.

Other times, there is no way anyone else is going to know what was going on in my head when I shot it, so I want to keep it all under my roof until the last tweak. Different gigs, different modes.
Old March 21st, 2002, 06:45 PM   #12

Re: the "3-streams" guy, actually he often shoots with only 1 or 2 tended cams. The 3rd cam is generally located below and to the left of the drummer It remains in a stationary shot, usually aimed up at the drummer, which he uses for cut-aways and transitions. And get this: it's one of those little WebCams! He showed some footage and darn if it didn't look very good. The difference in resolution between the WebCam and his Sony's (150's) was not noticeable at all with the funky stage lighting and the quick cut-aways. When he uses only 1 tended camera the 2nd cam is a Sony CCD industrial-cam (picture only) mounted to the lighting scaffolding.

Basically, Mike, "studio switcher" describes precisely what he uses his FCP and TiBook for at thes shoots.

I don't know much about concert shooting but he sure seemed to have an ingenious setup to me!

Old March 22nd, 2002, 12:19 PM   #13
Machinist Mate

I wish the "3 stream" guy had a website for more 411 on how he does it, how the gear works, etc.

Hey, I haven't taped anything like Dave Mathews' Band but it sounds like a cool project.

I'm scheduled on a PR event featuring Tia Carrere (y'know, the bass-playing girlfriend in "Wayne's World"). I doubt she'll be playing bass there, though.
Old March 22nd, 2002, 12:29 PM   #14

I think I'll encounter* him again next week so I might be able to get more info then. Back at his office he has an iMac "render farm" consisting of some rediculous number of iMacs that can simultaneously render After Effects footage. He says he rents time on the "farm" to other local shops.

* "Encounter" is a more appropriate expression than "meet" when it comes to Gary. He really needs to switch to decaf.

Old March 23rd, 2002, 05:21 AM   #15
New Boot

check out

channelstorm.com for live camera dv and file switching. Actually turns your computer into a mini server. the time lapse rocked. they loved it on the way to norfolk, shoot the troops comming home
peace
bill zuto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion