We're all digital! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 15th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Trustee

We're all digital!

All of our TV stations here in Honolulu began transmitting digital signals today at 12pm noon. We're the first in the nation, as I understand it. Everyone else goes digital next month. My wife had an old tv set upstairs in the bathroom which we never bothered to convert so now there's no tv for that bathroom. Are you prepared?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Anyone experience any negative effects on wireless mics?

My ATW-1800 system operates between 655.500 - 680.375 MHz and there are two channels assigned in that range. Anyone owning a Sennheiser Evolution "A" Band system would be badly screwed with six stations assigned within that range of frequencies. It's where most of the major stations are now actively broadcasting DTV, from 518 to 554 MHz.
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
All of our TV stations here in Honolulu began transmitting digital signals today at 12pm noon.
And are there hoards of people screaming?

I guess you hadn't heard, there was a call for a delay here in the upper 49 since the coupons ran out. I was wondering what they were going to do about Hawaii.

I really hope they decide NOT to delay further. I've only got cable tv because there is analog interference on my favorite channel--should clear up when analog goes away.

From an environmental standpoint, think of how much juice all those transmitters are using!
Old January 16th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The vast majority of tv viewers here (in Hawaii) are on cable or satellite.

The reason is that our topography features mountain ranges which split the islands, and there are a lot of deep valleys throughout which block VHF and UHF signals.

When cable arrived, people subscribed as fast as they could lay the cable.

One day a popular station went off the air due to a transmitter problem and very few complaints came in... almost everyone was watching via cable. The rest probably switched to a different channel.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion