I need a Mini DV rewinder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 10th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I need a Mini DV rewinder

I have just had the tape transport mechanism replaced on my HDR-FX1 for the second time. The first one failed when the camera was about a year and 3 months old. This one lasted from Oct 2006 until Feb 2009. It is a $350.00 repair for the part and the technician time.

The motor(s) die in the unit. The repair facility said that rewinding tapes is the culprit. They suggested getting a tape rewinder.

Can anybody suggest a good one to get. I am in the Chicago metro area so getting one should be easy. I found several on line. Who has the good one?
Michael Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Regular Crew

You can buy it at ebay Digital Video Mini DV Two Way Tape Rewinder Re Winder | Hybrid Car Seller
Julius Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #3
Trustee

The other option is to buy another consumer camera and use it as a winder as well. That's what I am doing in any case.

Stelios
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Trustee

I wouldn't trust ANY of the small rewinders. Go with a cheap camcorder. I've had tapes ruined on several occasions by three different models. DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Bruce yarock
Yarock Video and Photo
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #5
Major Player

There's a good reason a camcorder makes different tones when rewinding - the controlling electronics sense the location of the tape and, as it gets nearer to the beginning, slows down the rewinding (changing the sound). This is essential to avoid damage to the join between the tape and the hub.

I wouldn't go anywhere near that 'digital' winder.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #6
Major Player

Or you could get a Firestore and record direct-to-digital, and never rewind the tapes unless something BAD happens and you lose your backup.
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #7
Inner Circle

DV tape rewinders DO wreck tapes, lotta things wrong with them as mentioned, including the little plattens the tape pack sits on are never at the right height.

They wind the tape pack out of alignment with your DV cam tpt guides. Causes tape edge damage when you load and run your tapes. Use a high time DV cam.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion