Location Question... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 17th, 2003, 04:59 PM   #1
New Boot

Location Question...

Has anyone ever shot at an airport?

Scene is two kids with backpacks exiting the baggage claim and getting in a taxi. That's it!

Should I contact their security first? Is it a tremendous hastle? The only equipment I wil be using is the camera and tripod. Maybe a few different angles. Daylight - no extra lighting and audio isn't an issue - we'll have music over.

Thanks in advance!
Old September 17th, 2003, 06:37 PM   #2
Wrangler

Yes you should ask first. However, do not contact airport security, they don't usualy have the authority to let you shoot in there. Go to the airport management. They are the ones that will make the decision to let you or not.
Old September 17th, 2003, 07:06 PM   #3
Wrangler

Interesting trivia, when they shot "12 Monkeys" in Philadelphia awhile ago they wanted to film at the airport for the final important scene where Bruce Willis gets shot at the security checkpoint. They were not allowed to shoot there, so they had to build their own airport using the main hall at the Convention Center...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 05:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Boy don't those terrorists SUCK?! When I was 16 me and my buds used to go out to Lambert (St. Louis) Airport just to walk around (meaning screw around)... We'd go up there at 12 midnight and walk in with purpose... as if we had a flight to catch, then simply walk through the metal detectors and then the mostly deserted airport was our playground. This was COMMON for us!

One friend of mine shot a WHOLE MOVIE in the airport 4 years ago, in the middle of the night! No asking... no nothing. A 3 man crew just went in, picked the individual locations, only recorded normal volume and lower, spliced in guns from another location later... and boom, airport scenes done.

It's kind of a bitch that America is being taken away from us isn't it?

When my buddy shot "Death in Vegas" (4 years ago) he didn't bother anybody and made a point to shoot when nobody was around... I doubt anybody even noticed a movie was being shot. Try that now and I'll bet you'd get the best gunshot footage you ever saw!... if you get my drift.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 08:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yeah, the situation has changed, as our life reality.
You're talking abotu US airports and other sensitive locations ??
Go try out Israeli here ...:-) thee guys will show frmo nowhere in a moment .....

Well, we do not lumant - better to be over secured then lose your life or family, you know...

Alex
Alex Zabrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2003, 09:24 AM   #6
Contributor

I shot some stuff for TWA many years ago, back when the only U.S. terrorists were the home-grown variety, and even then it was a hassle to shoot at a big airport. I was shooting for a division of an airline company, had a representative with me, and it was still a big deal getting clearance.

On the other hand...if you look and act like a tourist and forgo the tripod, you might be able to get by with a single shot.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion