How hard to break a hot shoe? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How hard to break a hot shoe?

Hey, this is the first time I have ever used the hot shoe on my HV20, and I just want to make sure it can carry this. I got an adapter to put a stereo mic holder on it. Then I put two of these flashlights in rubber shockmounts:

Amazon.com: streamlight 4aa

Do you think that would weigh too much to put on a camera?
Chris Rackauckas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Trustee

Not sure the "weight" of the lights will be the big deal.

I'd be more concerned by the horribly uneven pattern of light produced by a typical flashlight reflector.

Anyone who's ever used a Maglight knows that no matter where in the range you position a light source in a center drilled hole of a parabolic reflector, you get an alternately hot/dark ring shaped low/highlight as the bulb position moves.

That's no big deal for finding your keys in a darkened driveway - you just focus your eyes where the light is even and ignore the places where it's not.

But I think it's going to be a pretty ugly light/shadow pattern for illuminating a video recording.

This is precisely why theatrical lights that also use parabolic reflectors NEVER mount the lamp in a hole. They affix the lamp on a sled IN FRONT of the reflector so there's no NULL or hole space in the reflective geometry.

I think you're going to be disappointed with the illumination you get from the flashlight trick. But since you're clearly already going down this path, let us know how it works out.

Good luck.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 09:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Use a diffuser over the flashlight

I agree with Bill that the typical flashlight produces very uneven illumination. You can get diffusion material to place over the lights. That would help some. The ultimate super-cheap diffuser would be a few layers of wax paper (or even one layer of regular white paper) taped over the flashlight. Of course, this would reduce the light intensity, but should produce much smoother illumination.
Ken Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #4
Major Player

If you go for the Luxeon LED Flashlight it would have less of the reflection issue as the LED's are not set back by much, and most times the reflector can be removed around the LEDs.

If you get the yellow light version you could always put a couple of daylight filter gels on the front.

The white version is a bit cold for internal unless you warm it up with a orange gel.
James Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion