DVCAM vs Mini DV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 8th, 2004, 01:13 PM   #1
Wrangler

DVCAM vs Mini DV?

What's the difference between DVCAM and MiniDV? What is DVCAM?! Are there any benefits to shooting in this format over MiniDV?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Glen,

Lots of previous discussion on this topic. I'm sure a quick search would turn up many of them. Bottom line short answer. Same tape, same data (quality) slighty different record format that should improve reliability (fewer dropouts).
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 12:01 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

DVCAM is Sony's proprietary "professional" DV format. It features locked audio (to video) and a faster tape speed. That is, it claims higher reliability largely because it uses more tape to record the sound and image. It can be recorded on either miniDV-size cassettes or full-size DV cassettes.

DVCAM does not confer any imaging enhancements or advantages (other than those I've noted), per se. That is still dependent on the camera.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 07:51 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

See Adam Wilt's DV FAQ for a brief run-down. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #5
Major Player

will there be any head wear tear on a dv camcordeer like DVC200 if we use a DVCAM tape for recording...only benefit is longer recording time on a say DVCAM 184 tape
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #6
Major Player

Nope, the tape stock itself is the same inside either a MiniDV or DVCAM cassette.
Old March 11th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #7
Major Player

Are you sure cox the Panny guys told me that the coating used on Large DV & Large DVCAM tapes is diferent and using a Large DVCAM tape in place of Large DV on DV200 camera shall screw the head !!! How far does this story goes !!! PLS help me by informing me more n this.
Old March 11th, 2004, 11:32 AM   #8
Major Player

Checked the Panasonic Web Site and found this brochure -

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/Drivers/PBTS/brochures/B_DV%20Master%20Tape.pdf

It applys to both thier MiniDV and DVCAM size tapes that are listed below it's link. This happens to be the tape I use in both my GL2 (MiniDV) and my DSR 500 (DVCAM). I've had great results in both.
Old March 11th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #9
Major Player

Dear Rob,

Well using Dv in DVCAm is fine does it works well vice versa ... I mean using DVCAM tapes in Lrge DV recorer like DV200. Are Both Sony Larrge DV & Large DVCAM apes Metal Evaporated...

What is the ifference in DVCAM Tape & DVCPRO tapes compsition like Metal Evaporated or Metal Particle ???

the link you sent was not able to open...PLS re send the link in www. format...
Old March 11th, 2004, 01:53 PM   #10
Wrangler

Sony DVCam tape was designed to survive in a Linear Editing environment which, until very recently, was how the Broadcast Channels edited their tapes (many still do, look in the back of the news vans).

In normal use in NLE environments, the performance of DVCam tapes is not required.

You may decide to pay for the better construction and more rugged tape base and coating. But it really isn't necessary for most commercial applications.

If you want to reuse your tape 20-50 times, it might be worth it. I've never had a bad miniDV tape in over 7 years of using the format. I've never had a dropout either.

I always use Sony because that's the cameras we shoot. Whatever they have that is cheapest. Doesn't mean you won't have as good a luck with another brand or model but I stick with supplies made by the manufacturer of the equipment.
Old March 11th, 2004, 02:04 PM   #11
Major Player

Go to this site, then click on the brochure link listed near the top left of the page.

http://www.panasonic.com/pbds/subcat...ape_media.html

It's my understanding that DV (mini or CAM) tape is significantly different from DVCPRO and that they are both formulated to work with thier specific head types. I don't think one would work with the other.

As other posts (and Mike) mention, the most important things seems to be to stick with a brand once you start using it.
Old March 14th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #12
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Rehmus : Sony DVCam tape was designed to survive in a Linear Editing environment which, until very recently, was how the Broadcast Channels edited their tapes (many still do, look in the back of the news vans).

If you want to reuse your tape 20-50 times, it might be worth it. I've never had a bad miniDV tape in over 7 years of using the format. I've never had a dropout either.
-->>>

I don't believe the statement about no dropouts but hey if it's true you are one of the few.

Metal Evaporated tape is more fragile than Metal Particle. These terms go back to the days of HI-8. We did a test once on the HI-8 format and discovered that Sony's Metal Evaporated tape actually recorded more video signal than the Sony Metal Particle tape. However, because the metal evaporated tape is "vacuumed" (or something like that) to get a more dense layer of recordable video, the more you play the tape, the more likely it is to begin "evaporating" or flaking off. (an easy way to remember what Metal Evaporated means, it evaporates over time.)

I can't quite figure out why a digital signal would require Metal Evaporated tape. It seems like a safer bet to stick with Metal Particle which will hold up better. Unless it has something to do with the Metal Particle might just barely provide enough bandwidth recording to meet the needs of the dv cameras and perhaps Evaporated Tape is actually the correct default for the format but riskier to use?

Any theories anyone?
Old March 14th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Metal is evaporated and condenses onto the tape surface when it's made. ME tape can hold more information but it isn't as durable as you pointed out. I think ME tape is used for the mini-DV format so you can get the tapes smaller.

DVCPRO has a longer track pitch or whatever it's called, so you are packing information over a larger area. You don't need metal evaporated in that case so metal particle tape is better since it's more durable.

Adam wilt's DV FAQ has some more information on the nitty gritty details on the various DV formats. http://www.adamwilt.com/DV.html
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2004, 12:53 AM   #14
Major Player

Well my original question gt lost somewhere.

I reframe it.

I have a DVC200 Panasonic camera which records on Lage DV tape in DV format (pls understand it doesnt records in DVCAM or DVCPRO format it UST RECORDS VIDEO SIGNAL IN DV format only). OK, now the story is I have used Panasonic Large DV tape which worked well as a matter of fact they are Just METAL EVAPORATED Tapes. I thought of trying Sony tapes I tried Sony Large DVCAM tapes which too are Metal Evaporated tapes. The recording was perfectally OK but i orry will using a DVCAM tapes in Panasonic Large DV ony recorer eat the head !!!

I hope i am clear on my querry,

Cheers !
Old March 15th, 2004, 01:03 AM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

Couldn't quite read your last sentance, but if there's nothing wrong with the Panasonic tapes you're using now, then why switch. I'd stick with the Panasonic if I were you, shooting on a Pansonic DV200.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion