Firewire cardbus kit - does it matter which one? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 14th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Firewire cardbus kit - does it matter which one?

I've had my cam for a while, and have not yet been able to get the video out to my computer. Since I don't have a modern TV or VCR, the computer is the only practical way to view my videos.
The cam is a Pan dv852, computer is a Thinkpad with XP Pro, 768 RAM and a recent cpu (P - M1.6).

I have a SIIG kit, incl cardbus (laptop) 3port card, cable, and Ulead VS 7.0. Their tech reccomended I return it as we haven't been able to get it working.

Goal: To get a reliable setup with as little overhead (buying and installing) as possible. I'd prefer a kit with the card, cable and software or one reseller who supports all. For software, ease of use and reliability are more important right now than power.

i Does it matter what 1394 card I use? I understand that some are (or at least were several years ago) intended for video use in particular
ii Software - First it should work without phone & email tag with tech support. Second, it should work without hours of reading the manual for obscure tweaks. Third it should have a modest but well designed set of features. It should be able to save with various degrees of compression and in the most common formats.
iii Cost - I'd like to keep the whole thing under $100, or even under $50. The SIIG kit was $50 at full retail.

thanks!!

Larry
Laurence Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2004, 04:04 PM   #2
Wrangler

The Adaptec FireConnect is a safe bet, though you pay a little extra for Adaptec's reputation.

I used a Maxtor firewire PC card for 2 years, never gave me any problems. I didn't like the dongle though, it was too easy to misplace.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion