Need help picking... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 18th, 2004, 08:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need help picking...

Hey guys. I need help picking out a 3CCD Camera. Im currently making alot of money off eBay and I think ill be able to afford one in a month or so. I need help picking between these :

GL2
VX1000
XL1
PD150

Im going to be using the camera at my Local TV Station and will probably make a few short movies. I just need your opinion on which one of these are the best and have the most usful features.

-Cory Moorehead
Cory Moorehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 04:15 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Welcome to DVinfo, Cory! For that I'd go with the PD150 and once you get one in your hands, see Bryan Beasleigh's thread on the "Now Hear This" forum, here, about the Greg Winter audio modification. From there, you'll want a good mic, a good tripod, extra batteries, and a filter or 2. Good luck!

Bryan's thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=23133

Modification link:

http://www.gregjwinter.com/modification2.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 07:49 PM   #3
Wrangler

I'd take the XL1 out of those choices, for its interchangable lenses. I think the wide angle lens would suit TV/ENG work, and the manual lens is great for filmmaking.
Old March 18th, 2004, 11:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You might want to look at the Panasonic DVC80 too. Unfortunately I have 0 experience with this camera but the people in the specific camera forums here at dvinfo.net will have user reports. As far as I can tell, the main selling points of the DVC80 are:

great audio (XLR inputs and better electronics than the PD150, much flatter frequency response and higher S/N ratio)

close to the same low light as the PD150. Both the DVC80 and PD150 are better than the XL1 and GL2.

excellent image quality.

slightly wider lens than the XL1. Get a wide-angle adapter if it isn't wide enough.

The XL1 can take manual lenses which would be good for manual focus and pulling focus, but for news that may not be very useful. And you'd want a good viewfinder with the XL1 to check your focus... which boosts its price into the class of much more expensive cameras.

The DVX100 is the DVC80's big brother with extra features like 24p, 30p, gamma curve control, and cinegamma. You may not need those features.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 09:35 AM   #5
Contributor

I'd go with the PD150 because it shoots DVCAM and has XLR audio inputs. If you're doing something for a TV station, they'll think that's more professional than the other cameras. It's also the most rugged of the bunch. Forget the VX1000--it's way too old. The GL2 is only a 1/4" chip camera and not in the same category as the 1/3" chip ones.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:36 AM   #6
Trustee

Just in case you are using some old information and have not seen an update.

The Sony VX-1000 was replace by the VX-2000. The 2000 has now been replaced by the VX-2100.

The Sony PD-150 has been replaced by the PD-170.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:51 AM   #7
Major Player

Like Glenn, I would also recommend looking into the Panasonic DVC80. You can see some examples of it in action on my website at www.karatemedia.com/video (keep in mind that I am not the best cameraman and these ads were shot in an almost news-style, run-n-gun fashion with no additional lighting,etc -- so you are seeing this camera at almost its rawest).

In fact, as I like to mention, I've had broadcast media professionals tell me that the DVC80 is equal in quality to the PD150. One is a news photojournalist/cameraman with about 30 years experience and he says the DVC80 is great -- he really likes the wide Leica lens. The sound, in my opinion, is even better than the PD150. And you can get a brand new DVC80 for only about $2000.

As for DVCAM -- it's my understanding that more and more stations are accepting miniDV tapes. I turn all my ads in on miniDV, for what that's worth. Find out what the local station will accept -- if they take miniDV, don't get the PD150 *just* for DVCAM.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Im really leaning towards the DVX100. With the 24p mode and the great sound I think it would do me well for the TV station and making a few shorts. I really like the design of it as well and it looks quite professional.
Cory Moorehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #9
Major Player

If you've got the money, that might be a good idea. You get all the 60i functionality of the DVC80, plus all the 24p/30p benefits of the DVC100, plus the same great sound. I would've recommended it (I noticed you mentioned wanting to make short movies) but I figured that if you were looking at VX1000s, then you might be looking for a low-priced cam.
John Britt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion