Tripod Techniques? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Tripod Techniques?

Anyone have any suggestions on tripod techniques. I still cant control the camera as well when its on a tripod as oposed to holding it. Particualy when it comes to zooming in slow while panning at the same time. Any thoughts?
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Sounds like you need a lanc controler

Alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 05:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Practice Kevin practice using your EVF. You need a suitable tripod made for video work, and a while ago I found I didn't have enough drag on my Manfrotto 503 head.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Try using a rubberband. http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/tripod-st...bber-band.html
Corey Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:02 PM   #5
Trustee

Kevin,
It also helps greatly if your tripod is good in the first place. Something like Sachtler or Vinten pans and balances MUCH better than say...Bogen. What kind of tripod are you using now?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:54 PM   #6
Major Player

Warren:

I'm actually using a Bogen. Its the only one ive used so I have nothing to compare it to. However, I dont hnks is the brand of tripod, its more about me not using the tripod correctly. Maybe using the Eye viewer may help, this way im standing behind the tripod instead of to the side of it. Any other thoughts?
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:33 PM   #7
Major Player

Which model head are you using? If it's not a true fluid head, then that could be one big problem. Bogen is an ok brand. Definitely good for the price, but you can't beat Sachtler for quality.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:35 AM   #8
Regular Crew

1. A technique I often use is to tuck the pan bar under my arm. This allows me to control the tilt and pan with my body and it keeps my hands free to operate the zoom and other controls.

2. A longer pan bar can make for greater precision.

3. A LANC is not necessary at all, but it is an extremely common tool among shooters. Most people benefit from using them.

4. Play with the drag and see what works best for you.

5. Better tripod heads make smooth shots much easier to attain.

Alec Moreno
http://www.1Day1ShotProductions.com
Alec Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #9
Trustee

Wanting to learn to use your tools to the best of your ability is an excellent way to improve your videos.

One thing about any tripod is that it can only work to it's full capacity if you set it up properly.

That starts with establishing your camera position at precisely the tripod head's center of gravity. Most tripod mounting plates have a number of mounting holes and a lot of room for adjustment. That center of gravity will also change depending on the weight of accessories like lens adaptors, batteries - even cables and wireless receivers - they all affect the balance point of any tripod.

After you find that balance point by experimentation, the next step is to set the drag and/or spring balance. Yes, better heads will have better adjustments available, but even a mid level Bogen will allow you to set enough drag so that when you tilt, the camera will remain in position when you take your hand away from the arm.

Similarly, setting the pan drag is a LOT easier when the camera is well balanced to start.

Removing all drag should let the camera pan with a very light touch, but setting a modest amount of drag will often smooth out a pan.

One trick I learned when starting was to use strips of white gaffers tape on adjustable areas, and once I had the balance right, I'd draw a line across adjustment points so I could reproduce the position and setting the next time I set up the rig.

Good luck.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #10
Trustee

I would say take deep breaths and practice, practice, practice on being as smooth as possible. Also, being as close to the camera itself as possible helps to keep things smooth.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion