What aspect ratio is this? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 25th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Trustee

What aspect ratio is this?

I love the look of this video, the song - not so much - but it does look great. What aspect ratio is this, because it is really wide. How would something like this be achieved on a digital level?

Split screen music video for Kid Cudi. | Motionographer | Motion graphics, design, animation, filmmaking and visual effects
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Its 16x9.. I downloaded the footage, brought it into AE and overlaid a 16x9 solid over it and
the overlay fit perfect...

From the footage it was done with two setups... a wide lens setup and a standard lens setup...

Then the footage put on a 16x9 timeline and the two different footage scaled for the
over/under (split screen) look you see...

The balloons at the start were done by flipping the footage on the bottom...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Trustee

I was thinking that each half (top and bottom) was done with 1:85:1 and put on top of each other to give that nice panoramic view - no?
Old August 1st, 2009, 01:04 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I think you are asking if they used anamorphic lenses to get the wide look. 2 comments on that:

1. Anamorphic lenses don't usually give you a wider field-of-view than normal lenses, they just reduce grain because they allow you to use the whole film frame and not just a thin strip in the middle. This isn't really relevant to music videos, since grain isn't such an issue. Anamorphic format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. The shots aren't really that wide. I think they just used a pretty short focal-length lens. Cropping the top and bottom gives the panoramic effect.

Having said that, look at the scene where the person moves through the room on a bicycle. The speed distortion is what you would find with an anamorphic lens. But I think a less than perfect short lens might do that as well.
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 08:41 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Bill,
I would have thought there might be more barrelling and distortion with a short lens?
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM   #6
Trustee

That video effect is fairly easily done in many video editing software packages that have more than one video track. Each video segment was probably done in 16:9 but with the vertical crop in mind and the LCD may have even been masked so only half the height was visible to aid in composing within those limits.

Then it's a simple matter of "compositing" with each video track showing it's image in proper vertical positioning. The software I use, Pinnacle Studio 12 Plus or Ultimate, has a main video track and a second or overlay track. On each of those tracks the "add video effect" allows me to crop and position the cropped image where I want it. The main video track would have the top image and the overlay track the bottom with it's audio muted.

If you didn't have access to wide lenses or an auxiliary wide converter you would have to manage shooting distance to insure proper subject size and adequate horizontal "scope".

Hope this helps.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 02:12 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Engeler View Post
Anamorphic lenses don't usually give you a wider field-of-view than normal lenses, they just reduce grain because they allow you to use the whole film frame and not just a thin strip in the middle.
A small correction Bill. An anamorphic lens is a wide-angle converter but in one plane only (it's usually, but not always, the horizontal plane). It's constructed using cylindrical elements rather than spherical or aspherical elements, and using a 2x anamorphic is the same as fitting a 0.5x wide-angle converter.

They don't reduce the grain at all - in fact because they lose a bit of light then can in fact increase the grain in gain-up mode. What a 1.33x anamorphic lens will do is utilise the whole of the 4:3 chip area to give you full resolution 16:9.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion