Pick n' Pluck foam for cases AND FOAM DUST?!?!?!? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 06:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Pick n' Pluck foam for cases AND FOAM DUST?!?!?!?

Hi there,

I just got a camera and bought an aluminum case. The foam insert is the typcial pick n' pluck (these are all the same grey precut ones, right?).

I tried to do some custom cutting of the foam with a knife and scissors and put my camera in there to test the fit.

I noticed later that there was a lot of foam dust that collected on the camera. To me that is bad new, as I don't any foam dust to touch the tape and head mechanism.

But I also noticed that the area around the hold which I "broke-away" also had some dust, although not as much as the areas which I cut.

At this point I'm thinking I should just get a new insert to be on the safe side, however, there is the possibililty that dust will occur even if I broke it all away anyway.

Can I ask you guys if you have ever noticed dust coming off your foam? If so, does it make you worry for your camera?

Thanks
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 02:45 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Use a vacuum to suck out the dust. You can always replace the foam with better packaging foam. That's what I use. (Packaging foam comes in different sizes.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Turns out that ALL of these pick and pluck cases, including yours y'all will shead foam dust.

to confrim, cut some packing tape and tape it against the holes in your foam. Then remove the tape. The tape doesn't come off clean.

Frank, packing foam? is it cut to fit exactly? can you tell us more, including where to get them?
Old April 5th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #4
Contributor

In theory, the gray, dense foam used in the expensive camera cases (like Haliburton, Anvil, etc.) do not flake off so much and do not decompose and crud up your gear like standard foam allegedly does. However, I've noticed that even the good stuff does flake off and deteriorate after a fewyears.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes, the bad yellow foam stuff....holy, I 'm glad they didn't put that in there.

But doesn't this flaking worry you? After all there are many holes in the camera that the dust can get into.

I'm wrapping my camera in a bag before I put it in there now.
Old April 5th, 2004, 01:27 PM   #6
Contributor

I don't think I'd put a video camera in the pluckyfoam type of case because of that reason. I have an ancient shipping case I got with my old BVW300 years ago (back when the shipping case didn't cost extra), and it has the good foam and seems to be still in good shape.

The plastic bag may be a good idea, although what might be better would be a fabric bag with a drawstring or something. I'd think sealing the camera in plastic might cause some condensation if you get into some highly humid areas in the summer, but maybe not.

These days I don't use any hard cases for cameras. Everything is in Portabrace bags, and if I travel by air, I carry the camera on.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I would be cautious about storing your camera or any electronics in a plastic bag. Depending on the plastic used the act of putting the camera in and taking it out of the bag can cause a static charge which could damage or degrade the sensitive electronics in the camera if the charge then discharges through your camera. If the camera came in a plastic or foam bag when shipped I would think it is safe to use that. I am fortunate enough to work at a company where I have access to this plastic and have cut the foam in my hard case to fit my camera and have then lined that with antistatic plastic. I apologize in advance that I do not know where to obtain this product.
Bret Corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 04:10 PM   #8
Major Player

Good idea.

Yes, I am using the white foam bag that the camera came in. should be safe.
Old April 5th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #9
Outer Circle

Quote:
Frank, packing foam? is it cut to fit exactly?
It is a firm dense foam used for packaging. It's also dust-free. I simply cut it with a razor.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion