Airplane travel, argh! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 14th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #16
Major Player

Why not just get a good camera case and put it in luggage? I've done that for years, including a three year stint of every day flying and never lost or broke a thing.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2004, 11:06 AM   #17
Wrangler

Well, it may sound like heresy to you guys, but I take a page from the book of rental houses and productions that routinely ship cameras all over the world, and I check my XL1 as baggage, in a well-foam-padded Storm (like a Pelican) case. Been doing that with my cameras and Steadicam for years and never had a problem. I think that back in the tube camera days there were more issues with registration after the camera was flung around, but with a solid-state imaging system, not so much.

Then again, I don't use UV filters, or lens caps once the lens is on the camera, which is probably equally shocking!

addendum:

...and look, Rob just said the same thing! Synchronicity, baby!
Old May 14th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #18
Major Player

Hi Mike, I have been carrying my DVCPRO 610 like this always on my lap fastened on to myself with set belt. I gues now a days the airline staff are much aware of the delicasy of these equipment. A lill persuassion might justy work for us ! Just a thought...

;o)
Old May 14th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #19
Major Player

Charles,

As long as we don't start rhyming it's OK. :)
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #20
Wrangler

Hey Guys!
I made it back. I bought a $7 tote bag from WalMart and dismantled the XL1 and put it in. It worked fine as a carry on. They didn't ask me to turn it on, but made me pull EVERYTHING out of the bag for the sniffer test. I was going to get lippy and tell the (this seems to be a common trend) non-englishspeaking young woman that she really doesn't need to wipe every square inch of the lens with her swab.
Grr... anyway...
I checked the PortaBrace bag, and it survived fine, which I expected.

Why don't I check my camera? One time, I had a SLR in a checked bag, wrapped in foam, packaged inside a tupperware container. When I opened the bag at my destination, they had dropped it hard enough that the tupperware container was cracked. The camera was OK, but if I didn't have it in that, it might not have been. I'm willing to take that risk with an extra SLR camera, but not the XL1 that I plan on using to make money with while there.

It is against airline regulations to let you carry heavy objects in your lap during takeoff and landing. I guess babies don't count. Maybe because they aren't as aerodynamic as an XL1. Beats me...
Old May 20th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #21
Contributor

I think that's a job requirement for people who use the chemical sniffers: You can't have any more than a 10 percent command of the English language if you want to work in the U.S. And you have to move as if you're being projected in super slow motion, especially if the plane is getting ready to leave.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #22
Outer Circle

Dylan, I've got so many points on my Scare Air flyer's card that I can go almost anywhere. Trouble is, I've go no where to go, and the longer I wait, the more likely Scare Air will be out of business.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 06:46 AM   #23
RED Code Chef

I have a padded rugsack for such things. Takes the XL1S neatly
if I dismantle the viewfinder + mic. I can leave the lens etc. on.
Has enough room for batteries, charger, tapes etc. You just need
to be a bit careful not to bang it against anything.

Charles: so you are not scary someone will grab your case of
the luggage system before you get there? I never liked the way
these systems work. I can take whatever bag I want basically.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 07:03 AM   #24
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Yeah, Charles...I've had a couple of bags come up missing. The prospect of that would terrify me. Also, don't they have to be able to open the case to inspect it? Does that mean you leave it unlocked?
Old May 21st, 2004, 07:11 AM   #25
Warden

I agree with John. I carry the essentials on board, not for fear of damage, but rather the fear of it not showing up. I had this happen for a remote location shoot in Idaho. We lost three days of work, the client and the National Park Service were extremely upset. I could have driven the gear in the time that was lost. The next year when I had follow up work, I did drive.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 09:35 AM   #26
Contributor

I've had cases temporarilyl lost by airlines before. It's always a risk when you check your gear, and another reason I prefer to drive even if it takes an extra day on each end of the trip (not always possible for many people, or if you go to a lot of locations all over the country.)

Back in the dark ages I traveled all over the U.S. and Canada shooting 16mm as well as large, medium and small format stills, and I always had to check 8 or 10 cases of gear. One time the only case that didn't show up was the one with all my light meters, lens cleaning stuff, etc. Fortunately I was able to use the reflective meter in my Nikon to get readings for the 16mm shoot, and the case appeared at the airline terminal the next day.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:04 AM   #27
Trustee

I recently bought a Swiss Army computer backpack at OfficeMax or OfficeDepot or whichever it was. I can carry my VX-2100 in it battery down with the eyepiece folded up. The Beachtec will fit along with the shotgun along side it in a cozy for extra protection. Fits underseat and overhead.

I still have a pistol case with pelican foam if I need the extra protection, but it is not 'mobile'. Now, if I can just get a better bag for the B/M tripod... ;)

Oh, I also took a small laptop on the last trip in the backpack. Did a video at the conference.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:20 AM   #28
Trustee

Dylan, glad you made it back. This is what I do. I have a hard case for my old 35 mm stuff. I disassembly the Canon, put it in there (it is 1/2 the size of my canon xl-1s case) and I carry this on and use my Canon soft case to carry my clothing. It works great. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:09 PM   #29
Wrangler

Bob, I think that's exactly what I'm going to do from now on. Check the big camera bag filled with extra clothes, and carry the camera on in a small extra bag.
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:16 PM   #30
Trustee

one of the big reasons i use a small camera like the xl1s is because you can carry it onto the plane as a handheld camera, along with your one carry-on bag... i don't think that you can put the camera in a bag, because you only get one carry-on bag... and you can usually get the camera underneath the seat far enuf for takeoff and landings... you definitely cannot put an xl1s in your lap during takeoff and landing.

there is absolutely no way i will ever put valuable camera gear thru the airline baggage check these days... it's an open invitation to damage, theft, and the typical airline lost luggage syndrome.

what i usually put in the carry-on bag is wireless mic gear, small lcd monitor if needed, other camera support gear, etc., along with one clothing change.

while i really don't like having the xl1s banging round on the floor of an airplane for hours on end, i have had to learn the hard way that you should never let your expensive gear out of your sight, period! that's the only way to guarantee that it'll be there for the shoot.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion