CANON XL1S VS. Panasonic DVX100A at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 28th, 2004, 05:26 AM   #1
Tourist

CANON XL1S VS. Panasonic DVX100A

Hello, I am just starting my research at this new venture and have many questions. Without getting too involved and realizing that my question may be impossible to answer for real enthusiasts who may play it in the middle, I hope to come close to an answer that will help me with my purchase. Here are my 2 big questions.

I am starting to shoot two kind of productions.
Small band music videos & corporate promotion videos.
Wine Co./Watches Co. etc..... You should know that my experience is of a very creative nature!

I want my productions to look very cine-matic and less of a wedding type, home video package. What would suit me better?
CANON XL1S or Panasonic DVX100A ? Will the XL1S be out dated soon?

Ken, a memeber who was very-very helpful, thank you for opening up my horrisons and turning me on to new ideas and options!
Joseph
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Many have asked similar questions before... Here's my response to a recent one:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=25831

If you're close to a store that carries both cameras, (like B & H) you really should check them out in person. Both cameras are capable of great images, but as Chris said, they each have their advantages.

A year ago I was faced with the same choice, and seeing them both in action next to each other was the only real way to make an informed decision. For me, an independent filmmaker, the choice became easy as soon as I saw the footage produced by both; the DVX100 was better for my needs.

The DVX100's most notable feature is its ability to record in 24 frames per second, which produces a film-like image. If you're a film student, this will definitely make your productions in school feel more like traditional fiction, as opposed to the regular "video" look of news broadcasts and "reality" TV.

That said, XL1s footage can be converted to 24fps using 3rd party software such as DVfilm Maker or Magic Bullet, but both require rendering on the computer, whereas the DVX does it instantly.

The XL1s can change lenses and viewfinders, which is a big plus, but can also get very expensive. the DVX's lens is already quite wide when fully zoomed out, so you might not need an additional wide-angle lens. Both cameras offer a great ammount of image control, and offer superb color and detail.

My opinion would be to go for the DVX100, because you mention you're a film student. But you should really check them out both in person before plunking down $3000.

Hope this helps!
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion