Assorted posts from 2002Q3 -- more - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 21st, 2002, 01:39 PM   #16
New Boot

Frame vs. Movie(again) when to use..

Hi -

I shoot mostly surfing footage with my XL1S. I also shoot weddings. I am still trying to figure out the majore difference between using Frame and Movie mode. I have read all the other threads on this and am still confused..

I would assume at this point that for actions sports stuff the movie mode is best. While for weddings maybe the Frame mode is better. I don't know..

Any help would be appreciated..

Clueless!
John Puffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 02:38 PM   #17
Major Player

There have been several discussions regarding this topic. Check the links below:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3219&highlight=tapes

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2869&highlight=tapes

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2519&highlight=tapes

If you are in the market for tapes, you might also want to contact ProTape - web address: http://www.pro-tape.com

Hope this helps.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 02:50 PM   #18
Warden

There is no hard and fast rule. It's all personal preferences. I can't tell you what flavor beer to drink or ice cream to eat. I will suggest that you go out and shoot and see what you like. The frame mode has a different look than the movie mode. Shoot some moving subject in both modes and some stationary subjects in both modes. You will see a difference. I've seen weddings and documentaries shot both ways. It just depends on the look you want.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 08:03 PM   #19
Regular Crew

power conditioner

due to bad electricity where I live, all my equipment goes though an AVR then a UPS. I never exceed half of their rated capacity. Problem is, my synth and rackmount gear switches off when the UPS backup power kicks in! Would a power conditioner solve this problem?
Mo Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2002, 01:50 AM   #20
Warden

It won't hurt to try it (except your pocket, if it doesn't help). It's hard to sa what is causing it. It could be your equipment senses the problem and kicks off before the UPS can kick in. The output at start up of the UPS might not be stable enough and kicks the equipment off. Same net effect but different problems.

Jeff
Old August 28th, 2002, 03:29 PM   #21

Video tape question

I've been using Sony Excellence video tape in my XL1s with great results. However, I've been reading that the dry lubricant, such as that used by Panasonic, is better--less to clog the heads, causing dropout, although I've never experienced that (now I've probably jinxed it). Too, I see that the Panasonic Master tape is $1 cheaper per tape (I'm so tight I squeek when I walk). So. . .

My question is, will using a tape head cleaner be adequate in cleaning the heads preparatory for making the switch? I'm interested in your opinions/experience.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2002, 04:38 PM   #22
Warden

I would take it to a reputable local repair shop with Pro camcorder experience. In Miami there must be at least a couple. Ask them to just clean the tape path and upper drum assembly (heads). Cleaning tapes are not to be used for maintenance. I believe the cleaning tape would just move the wet lubricant around rather than actually removing it. Cleaning tapes don't clean the tape path very well. The rollers act as wipers and the lubricant might build up on the rollers and capstain.

Jeff
Old September 3rd, 2002, 03:33 PM   #23
Major Player

Dessicant or silica gel in your bag

All,
I wanted to pass this along, and hopefully some of the DVinfo sponsors will start carrying this or like items.

I don't know if this pertains to all, but up here in Alaska and the North Western USA for that fact, has a high humidity and rain factor.

99.9% of all the work we do up here is out in the "elements".
We use hard cases exclusively, and those cases that have o-ring seals are king in our particular scenario.

On to the point............

I've been using this type of thing in my gun safes for years, and started to use silica gel packs in my camera/gear cases in the last year mostly due to the high humidity.

The product I've been using is manufactured by Hydrosorbent Products http://www.dehumidify.com/ProdDisc.html . Up here you can buy them locally due to the consumer need for this kind of thing.

I use the 40 gram units due to the size and ease of use.
Once it gathers moisture to it's maximum ability, just pop it in a vented oven @ 300 degrees for 3 hours and it works like new.

I keep 2 of these in each case weather I need them or not just for safety sake and to ease the worry of your expensive gear.

Even though this topic is pretty boring in comparison to most of the conversation going on in this forum.......I wanted to pass it on to fellow camera jockeys <:)

Rgds.,
Dan
Old September 3rd, 2002, 06:37 PM   #24
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Dan,
Ya know, that's an excellent tip especially for this time of year. Down here in Chicago (and many other parts of the Midwest) late summer days can be warm and humid with 65-70 deg dewpoints. Come nightfall it's not unusual to see a 25+ deg swing and the residual moisture wants to go somewhere. Or, worse, you bring your camera into an air conditioned building and whammo, the air inside your case becomes saturated. A dessicant packet in a camera case would definitely help to keep it out of your lens and camera.

Dessicant is dirt-cheap and many types are rechargeable buy baking on a cookie sheet.

Thanks very much, Dan!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2002, 02:50 PM   #25
kh-power

panasonic dv-ds27 how can i open the dv in

panasonic dv-ds27

how can i open the firewire dv in on the cam ??

so that the cam can record from the pc

kh
Old September 8th, 2002, 05:37 PM   #26
Warden

I don't think the camera is enabled for DV in from the factory. However, there are several companies that sell special cables and software (firmware?) to enable DV In http://www.smartdv.co.uk/dvinpanasonic.htm . A review of the product is here http://www.smartdv.co.uk/review.htm I think that is what your looking for.

Jeff
Old September 13th, 2002, 12:56 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Need a production company for producing short films?

Dear DV community,
I have been researching the pros and cons of forming your own production company before producing your own short film(s).

I have been reading books and threads in various forums, but I get really mixed results.

For now, all I want to do is to produce a short film.
Since my ambition is to become a producer, I want to produce the short film 'by the book' i.e. getting all the proper talent and location releases, NYC permits, so I would own the rights 100% of this short film. I am not expecting to sell it and get a profit, but I might as well get used to get all this formal things as I will produce other short films and of course it is my hope to produce a feature film.

I own some equipment and I have some savings (but not much - since the equipment is expensive and you always find new things to buy).

I would also like to avoid too much paperwork, but of course if the risks of not forming a company are to great, I will of course do that.

What would you recommend me to do? And what have you done?
Thomas

PS. I am hosting an Open House where people from the DV community can come and network on Saturday, October 5, 2002 @ 2pm in NYC. For more information and location, please contact me. You can e-mail me at thomas_y_b@hotmail.com
Old September 13th, 2002, 02:35 PM   #28
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

you are heading in right direction. talk to 10 persons and they will tell you 10 different ways to go about making a short project.

talk to more persons at your up coming open house.

if you haven't worked/helped on a project - you might try to work/help on somebody's project. then you will see/hear what is going right/wrong and will meet others that you can learn from.

At some point you take what you have read/heard/learned and look at your resources and GO for it. some area's will go easy others rough and you'll learn from it all..
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2002, 08:46 PM   #29
Major Player

Attn: Canadians

Where do you get your Panasonic MQ minidv tapes? Pity ZGC doesn't have them, I get everything else from there :D
Ever had problems with customs?
Old September 16th, 2002, 01:53 AM   #30
Outer Circle

Fuji is good, and cheap at places like Superstore.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion