Assorted posts from 2002Q3 -- more at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 1st, 2002, 04:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Assorted posts from 2002Q3 -- more

I forget... for internet video is it interlace? Becuase when I deinterlaced the video for internet it came out really distorted kinda...
Old July 2nd, 2002, 01:33 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

No, it must be de-interlaced (progressive). This has nothing to do
with the web but with your computer monitor. TV's operate in
interlaced mode (they draw 50% of the screen first, skipping a
line each time. Then they draw the rest of the 50% in the next
pass). Computer monitors (at least the current ones, in the old
days even computer monitors could run in interlaced mode) run
in progressive mode (the whole frame is displayed each phase).
So to have the best playback you want to have a progressive
(de-interlaced) movie. A simple de-interlace might not yield
good results as you have found out. There are special products
and plug-ins available to do this a lot better. There is also a
technique (and I hope someone else will chime in with the exact
details) where you mirror fields and merge them to eliminate
interlacing effects. There was a thread about this on the board
a couple of months back I think, try to use the boards search
feature to find it.

If you go down the DVD (MPEG2) route you might leave it
interlaced (make sure the mpeg encoder knows the source
is interlaced!). Software DVD players have methods of de-
interlacing it while playing (check this out though if you want
to go down this path to make sure it looks okay!). Most of
the movies that come out of Hollywood on DVD are 23.976
(or 29.97) fps progressive sources though!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 02:10 PM   #3
Tom Boucher

Which DV Camera, GL-2 or XL-1s?

I do not currently own any type of video recording device, MiniDV, Hi8, or other.

I've been wanting a MiniDV device for some time, but I've not liked the form factor, or features of the sub $1000 market.

I do like the Canon XL-1s from a spec point of view, but I'm wondering if that'd be like buying the top of the line SLR for your first camera.

I was looking at the GL-2, it has a lot of similar features, but I was wondering if someone would be able to net out for me the main differences?

Also, do these two cameras work with the iMac and it's Firewire port? My plan is to edit, and write out to a DVD-R the video captured for my wife's family who lives a few thousand miles away and is missing their first and only grandaughter growing up.

I also would like to have some fun with this and do some amateur film making type things if the mood swings me. we did a lot of stuff in high school 'communication' classes and made some fun little movies. Don't know how they'd feel about some of the stuff we did in the late 80s compared ot the climate today (kids with aerosol flame throwers for special effects, etc) and editing should be a bit easier on the mac than the old editing machine my high school had.
Old July 19th, 2002, 06:39 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

<< I'm wondering if that'd be like buying the top of the line SLR for your first camera. >>

Actually yes, this can be one way of looking at it. Do you really need something like that? Do you really need the modularity of this system... will you be changing lenses a lot, etc.

<< Also, do these two cameras work with the iMac and it's Firewire port? >>

Perfectly. Apple and Canon are very tight with each other. Here at MacWorld in New York, Canon is adjacent to the Apple booth. The cameras and iMacs are adjacent in real life too. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 02:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Need to know Corporate Video Production Rates!

Anyone out there do a lot or some corporate video productions? I was wondering what everyone charges and how they charge? Do you give them an hourly rate for filming, editing, and post-production or do you charge by the minute of finished video? I was on the Apple website the other day, and one message was talking about this particular subject and they were saying that they were charging by the finished minute with the rate being around $500-$1000 per minute! I thought that kinda sounded high, but maybe the big companies make that. We run a 2-3 man operation here so its not like we have a crew of 20-40 people showing up for a shoot. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. We have our first really nice corporate promo about finished and it is about 12 minutes in length. We have spent a lot of hours with video footage, animation backgrounds, animated text, and superimposed voices of the president speaking while the video is playing. It is for a company that has annual revenue up over 1 billion dollars! I don't want to screw ourselves by doing it for nothing since this is our first chance to do something for this company. We'd like to do stuff for them in the future so I don't want to shock them when they get a bill. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Kurt Heim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 03:25 PM   #6
Warden

Wow, I would have thought you would have negotiated your rates before now. I do projects 3 different ways depending on the client and the type of project. Some projects are done on an hourly rate for all my services. Different services have different rates. For example, complex animations cost more than a simple 1 camera, lock down shoot. I keep an honest accounting of the time and materials and present sub totals to the client after completion of major parts of the production. Finish the script writing and the requested rewrites, client receives a sub total of costs to date. On large projects I require to be paid in thirds. One third at completion of script writing and client approves. One third after all shooting. Final third upon completion and client gives final approval. But everything is negotiated in advance, no surprises.

Many projects are done on a per project cost. I write the script or the client provides a script. I then determine the total cost to produce the script and client either takes it or leaves it. I rarely negotiate this type of project. I won't produce garbage and I know what it costs to produce a project (on a per minute basis).

The third type of project is done for free. I feel it is important to give back to the community. Presently I'm working on a fund raiser for a mission to migrant farm workers. They would never have the money to afford a video. Maybe it'll make a difference.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2002, 05:48 PM   #7
New Boot

Camera inputs?

I'm trying to to put video from television onto a DV tape. I have both a Canon XL1 and an Elura 2. Is there any way to input video on this cameras or do I have to get a media converter? Thanks.
joshuajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2002, 06:21 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

The XL1 does NOT have analog video input.

The Elura 2 does have analog video input.

Consult your owner's manual for details on how to use the Elura 2 for this purpose. If you don't have the manual, you can download it from canondv.com -- hope this helps,

Old July 24th, 2002, 06:50 PM   #9
Major Player

92 days since last...

Is the Watchdog dead?
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2002, 09:19 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

No, the Watchdog is currently on tour. Since the last update just prior to NAB, I've been on the road doing tradeshows pretty much consistently for the past three months (presently at VideoMaker Expo East). I've been home just long enough to do laundry before heading out to the next one. From here I go to the L.A. DV Show in Burbank next week, then I'm home for a whole seven days. Will try to get all the new stuff up then. Hope this helps,

Old August 8th, 2002, 06:54 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Need help urgently..need to decide in 12hrs time

Sorry to create another thread. But I really need to clear this up.

At the moment, I am letterboxing the video I shot in 4:3. The total height of the black bar is 25% which we could count easily based on the comparison on the ratio of 4:3 and 16:9.

But then, our video is projected at 720 x 576, while 16:9 is projected at 720 x 405, and this means I have to letter box around 30% of the total heights.

So which one is correct? I am outputtin my short film in 12 hours time. Can someone help me out? thanks a lot...
Michael Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2002, 07:44 AM   #12
Major Player

Extended Warranties for 3-CCD Camcorders

To begin with, I have always bought extended warranties for my cameras and over 15 years, I've scored 5 times the value for repairs, as the coverage cost me. This includes some pro models as well as consumer
cameras. But, none of the companies that currently offer extended warranties for higher-cost, 3-CCD models, are familiar to me. Can anyone give a recommendation for a good warranty company? Are there any good or bad experiences in this area that could help me?

Of course, the dealers sell only one brand of warranty and a good camera seller that also offers the best warranty may take some effort to identify. I'm looking for a 5-year policy, which seems to be the maximum available.

Steve McDonald
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2002, 09:51 AM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

I know for a fact the if you buy a 3-CCD camcorder from the retail chain Ultimate Electronics (they carry the VX2000, TRV950 and GL2), you can purchase their five-year protection plan which is like an extension of the camera's own factory warranty. They deal only with the factory service centers and no third-party repair outfits. The plan allows for unlimited free cleanings, and if at the end of the term you've never had a repair claim, then you'll get fifty percent of your money back from that warranty. GL2 coverage is $250 for five years. Hope this helps,

Old August 19th, 2002, 09:11 AM   #14
RED Code Chef

Do not worry about the height of your black bars. Just make sure
the remaining picture is "around" 16:9 and you should be fine.

720 / (16 / 9) = 405

576 - 405 = 171 = 170 / 2 = 85 pixel height for every black bar...
so you get:

85 pixels black
406 pixels picture
85 pixels black

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 01:02 PM   #15
New Boot

What kind of tapes & where to buy?

Hi - I recently purchased a CAnon XL1S and will be shooting mostly sports videos(surfing) and also about 6-10 weddings a year..

Is there really a big difference between "professional" tapes and less expensive tapes other than the price. It would seem that digital recording is digital recording..

I know not to switch tapes and use different brands, especially between Sony "wet" lube and other "dry" lube..

Is there an advantage to the wet lube or is it Sony's way of making sure you stick with their tapes only..

Also where is a good online store to purchase tapes at the best price..

Thanks..
John Puffs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion