Some of my first footage to show with my new PD-170 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 13th, 2004, 12:45 AM   #1
Wrangler

Some of my first footage to show with my new PD-170

If you haven't read in other posts I'm a wedding videographer who has switched from a DVX100 to a PD-170 and VX2100 combo. Here is the first clip I've ever shown you guys of any of my work with the new cam. It's an opening vignette for a project I'm doing for work regarding the Nurses Day Awards ceremony. Just an opening intro with some establishing shots. Comments, good and bad are welcome.

http://home.comcast.net/~g.elliott3/...g_Vignette.wmv
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #2
Wrangler

Very nice overall.

I've got to admit that I don't like most monochrome video images I see because they are just not good enough compared to the richness of those with color. Guess it's because I'm from the Ansel Adams school of still photography where monochrome more than holds its own against color photos.

In this case, I think the smooth progression is jarred by the introduction of black and white imagery when I'm expecting another beautiful color clip and, in my mind, destroys the superb mood you've created up to that point.

I'm going to move this to a general forum so you will get a broader exposure. I think you would be able to get the same effect regardless of the camera you use.
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #3
Wrangler

Thanks for your in put Mike, it's much appreciated.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 03:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Hello,

Nicely done Glen.. its some pretty mundane footage that you manged to present in an artistic and compelling manner..
Just wondering what is the reason that you are switching from the Panasonic DVX100 to the Sony PDP-170?? They would seem to be two pretty comparable cameras..

Mike M.
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:03 PM   #5
Rextilleon

Gorgeous footage! What filters did you use?????
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:19 PM   #6
Wrangler

Mike, the DVX was purchased specifically to do 24p shorts. I ended up going full force into wedding videography where 24p was unusable. I do alot of slow motion and 24p doesn't interpolate as well as 60i- plus the Sony cams are much better in low light and low light is about 50% of the environments I shoot in (ie reception halls, etc).

Dave...I use Vegas 5 and a description and visual reference of my filters can be found here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=28846
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion