Outputting projects to VHS? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 14th, 2004, 07:07 AM   #1
Major Player

Outputting projects to VHS?

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this or not. I have just had my first request to have a project put on VHS. Usually I do DVDs.
The question is, what is the easiest way to output my project to VHS? I guess I could print to tape and then hook my camcorder up to my VCR, but I would rather somehow dump the footage right off my computer to a VCR. I do have a video out on my video card, but not sure how well that would work.

Thanks for your help.
Old July 14th, 2004, 07:17 AM   #2
Trustee

Jeff depending on your setup you could render your project to a file. Load that into an NLE and just print to tape but don't put a tape in and just go out your camera's video out to VHS

Aaron
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I am assuming the project is from DV video and has been edited with Premiere or other NLE on your PC. The record to VHS depends on a few things, the codec to decode the DV to analogue and drive the connectors, the cables used and the VHS deck that does the recording. Most outputs from a PC video card are terrible. I would either use your camcorder as the decode and record to a SVHS deck using the S-VHS connector but record to VHS tape. I always "export to tape" to keep a DV master of the final video and then make a copy from this tape from my Sony DHR1000 deck to a JVC SVHS deck. For a large number of tapes I take this DV tape to a dupe house to make copies. The dupe houses do a much better job of VHS copies so even for a small number it may be worth getting them to do it for you from your DV master tape.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:49 AM   #4
Wrangler

decided not to post

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion