How to clean the inside of the lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 16th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to clean the inside of the lens?

I see some dust stuck inside of my lens , can some one tell me how did it happend ? can it be cleaned ?

Thanks
Mark Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 10:53 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

It's probably a remnant of manufacturing. Not unusual. Whatever camera brand/model you're referring to, the lens is sealed. You cannot clean inside the lens.

I suggest ignoring it. Your camera cannot focus on it and it's doubtful that it's causing any image trouble. If, however, you notice that dust is building-up in that lens you should send it for service.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 11:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks dude!
Mark Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 11:26 PM   #4
Contributor

I have the same problem with my PDX10, there are three particles of dust just behinf the front element, only one of them is easily visible. It only shows up in the image when I have light shining directly into the lens. I would love to have it serviced but I don't trust the local Sony rep. Should I trust them? Should I instead have it serviced at a pro photo shop? I was once told that it was better to leave lenses alone, that trying to service them will just introduce more dust. Should I believe this?
Old September 16th, 2004, 11:32 PM   #5

<<<-- Originally posted by Ignacio Rodriguez : I was once told that it was better to leave lenses alone, that trying to service them will just introduce more dust. Should I believe this? -->>>

There is great sense in this opinion. Unless you're really seeing a serious internal dust issue I would strongly advise ignoring it. Repair departments are not known for their cleanliness. As soon as that lens is unsealed in a workroom somewhere it's more likely that more dust will end up in there and, worse, that the lens will not be properly re-sealed.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old September 16th, 2004, 11:36 PM   #6
Contributor

Thank You Ken for the info. It does sot of bother me though, I hate that kind of problem, such a great camera and along come a single little s`peck of dust, it just drives me crazy. If anybody here has had a good experience with lens servicing please tell us about it.

Perhaps there is some way of vaporizing it with a laser, ultrasound... or making it move with static electricity... any ideas?
Old September 16th, 2004, 11:45 PM   #7

It will likely move about by itself eventually. The best course: just don't look at it. <g>

Old September 17th, 2004, 12:08 AM   #8
Contributor

> The best course: just don't look at it.

Jajjajaja. Ok... I will try to keep that in mind.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion