30P Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 29th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #1
Major Player

30P Question

If I shoot in 30P and then convert to DVD/Mpeg and play it on a standard tv does my TV still strobe or have the jittery effect like it would if I would play the DV file straight from the camera. I'm just trying to get the best image but with out the strobe effect..
thanks
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #2
Major Player

It certainly won't be very noticable. The fact that your progressive frame is converted into two fields acts (I presume) just like a double shutter on a cinema projector. It drastically decreases flicker. Not sure about strobing though... did you mean actual "strobing" or flicker?
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 04:26 AM   #3
Major Player

flicker

I guess the flicker that you would get when shooting in 30 P and showing it on TV. You get the better resolution but you also get flicker at least when it's in DV form and being shown directly from the DV tape. I was just wondering if it's the same because most good dvd players say they are progresive scan but I didn't notice the flicker. Again I would love to have the better resolution that 30p has but if I can save the footage out to DVD and lose the flicker that would be great.. thanks
Old September 30th, 2004, 03:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Progressive Scan DVD players are just running a conversion before the footage hits an interlace only screen. What model camera are you shooting with?
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 04:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Shooting

I'm shooting a JVC GR-DVM90U single chip camera. It can shoot both 60i and 30p...
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Does it have a true progressive scan CCD, or does it just have some form of the Panasonic and Canon frame mode? Frame mode is actually like a full frame interlaced mode, and is a psudeo progressive scan.
If it's the former and the cmaera is not doing a conversion that could be causing yor stutter, and if it's the latter version, then that's just the motion blurring quality of that frame mode, as it should be playing back fine on an interlace monitor.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 04:11 AM   #7
Major Player

the best way to explane..

680,00 Pixel Progressive Scan 1/4" CCD with Progressive Color Filter, High Band Processor for expanded 520 lines of Horizontal resolution and a Full 480 lines of vertical resolution. This is what the manual says..Other then that I've tried looking at this is a professional monitor and it looks great except for the flicker associated with all pregrsive cameras. Again I was wondering why DVD players are progresive and they don't flicker but you mentioned it earler.. thanks again

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion