PAL in the US at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 25th, 2002, 05:58 AM   #1
Major Player

PAL in the US

hopefully last question i'll have before purchasing my pd150:

i currently live outside the US and therefore will buy a pal system pd150p.

however, in about two years from now, i will be moving to the US.

i know i'll have to get a new 110v battery charger, but that's no problem. the big question is:

IS IT POSSIBLE TO WORK WITH A PAL SYSTEM CAMERA IN THE U.S. OR IS A PD-150P IN THE STATES JUST A 3.5 LB. PAPER WEIGHT?

is there an efficiant, and not very expensive way to convert pal to ntsc? or is this something i don't even have to worry about?

since i'm not into weddings and events, and will mostly be shooting documentaries for television, will i be able to live with my pal camera, edit on final cut pro with not too much hassle?

i know the technical difference between NTSC and PAL regarding frames per second, but am not aware of compatibility difficulties of the two systems and complications that may arise due to the differences between them.

thanks, adihead
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2002, 06:21 AM   #2
Trustee

It's going to be a pain if you intend to do commercial work as straight off the bat it's going to cost more due to the conversion.

If your not going to the states fro a couple of years, I'd go with the PAL version now and then sell it and buy a NTSC camera when yopu get to the states. The PD150 has been out for a while and in 2 years there will be a new and improved model for sure.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2002, 11:00 AM   #3
Warden

Good advice, Adrain. I'll only add that the cost of professional conversion is high. Software conversion is not up to broadcast standards. I've not seen a convertor under $2,000 that I would say produces broadcast quality results.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion