Is SVHS Dying???? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 20th, 2002, 08:53 AM   #16
Woodyfang

S-VHS sucks

I am a 2nd year media student in the UK. For our entire first year the only camera we could use on our assignments wer the Panasonic AG 455 and they SUCK. The whole format sucks. It was totally demoralising to go out and put all our effort into making documentaries and campaign videos, and get back to the edit suites to watch the crappy fuzzy images with nasty sound. Our departnemtn has XL1-s's, but they wanted us 'learnig how to shoot video' on S-VHS.

Me and my fellow group member bout bought cameras over the summer, me an XM-2 and he an XL1s. We are both very satisfied and love the quality, sharpness, and colour they give.

I am happy to say I will never have to use an S-VHS cam again. Good riddance!

Lighting Cameraman / Director / Producer / Music Producer / DJ / Web Designer / Visualist / Media Student / IT Tutor / Digital Artist

W00dy See, W00dy d00...
Hagop Matossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2002, 12:21 PM   #17
Warden

Not all S-VHS is created equal. S-VHS when shot on a good 3 chip camera can look almost as good as Betacam SP. I did a PBS documentary in the early '90s on S-VHS and edited on an Avid. It was mostly shot on location along the Ohio River. it was delivered on a 1 inch master and nothing was ever said about the format. They just assumed it was Beta. Little camcorders like the AG-455 do suck.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2002, 12:23 PM   #18
Major Player

It never caught on in the US, but I have had SVHS decks since 1988! They are a great home medium for taaping especially if you have satellite TV, which I have had longer than my decks (old C-Band, then DirecTV, now Dish Network). DVHS is a Digital version, but way too expensive and not catching on. SVHS-C was nice until mini-DV prices dropped, now I suspect only those on the tightest budgets will still opt for analog cams. And Home VCR tape is being replaced with digital PVR. Hell I have my Dish Netowrk PVR since June and have NOT powerd on my VCR since!
Keith Luken is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion