To get started - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 27th, 2001, 10:29 AM   #16
nosferatu's ass

a cheap alternative

Im not a pro like some of these guys, but i have used several NLEs, and here is my advice for something that is quick to pick up but will give you room to grow---

hustle on down to best buy and get an inexpensive OHCI compatible firewire card and pick up the extremely marked down (149.00 from a list of 469.00) Vegas Video 2.0 by Sonic Foundry.
Vegas is about on the level of Adobe premiere, with much more impressive audio capabilities and a very intuitive interface. It also sports its own separate capture program. Time is of the essence though because V V 3.0 just came out, so I dont imagine 2.0 will be on the shelves much longer.
Check out sonicfoundry.com for info and demos.

PS- if you get it and like it, you can get the upgrade to 3.0 for less than $200, still a really good net investment for such a powerful NLE.

good luck
Old November 27th, 2001, 11:20 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Vegas Video is not a bad solution, especially at that price.

The Canopus systems are indeed a bit more upscale and are intended for those who are serious (i.e., want to make money) about editing. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2001, 11:25 AM   #18
Regular Crew

On a system...

You may want to check my classified on this forum. It would be a very good production bundle to get started with unless you are absolutlly sold on a Canon.

Mines a VX2000 with a G4 and FCP with some extras at a very good price.
Wayde Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2001, 01:40 PM   #19
vuduproman

Apple? Mac?

I also heard that Apple Macs were excellent editing systems. Can anyone tell me how I can set up a G4 733 for under $2500 for DV editing? And who can I go to for this. Thank you.
Old November 28th, 2001, 02:39 PM   #20
Regular Crew

You can probably get a G4 733 for 1999.00 at some of the local Comp USA's, Fry's or MicroCenters as it's a generation old. For 2495.00, you can get a G4 867 with a Super drive (DVD-R/CD-R) 128MB RAM almost anywhere they sell Mac's.

Premeir 6 is about 500.00/250.00 from the Academic outlets online (if you qualify)

IMHO (and I've used both Macs and PCs in a number of graphic environments) the Mac is faster primarily due to the multi layer processing vs. a PC and the Mac seems more stable from an OS perspective. Macs have firewire built in, PCs don't. The fewer drivers you have to reconcile, the better however the PC is significantly less expensive.

I might be willing to break up my system - G4 867 Super Drive - that has FCP 2.0 , Premeir 6, Photoshop 6 and Final Draft loaded for 2500.00 plus shipping (would be cheaper than tax) as someone locally wants my VX2000

Keep me posted
Wayde Gardner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion