Tricky Save of Streamed File at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 25th, 2005, 07:12 AM   #1
New Boot

Tricky Save of Streamed File

There is a talk on the web (http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=6293) that we are using in a presentation at my work that we would love to be able to save locally, but it is a quicktime file that must load the real file, cause in the source code points to a little tiny file that isnt it. Does anyone have any idea's on how to pull this file down? Thanks!
Chase Brammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:30 AM   #2
Wrangler

It helps if you tell us what computer platform you're using...On the Mac there's some software that can capture anything from your screen, including streamed video - sorry, can't remember the name. There's probably something similar on the PC as well. If it's a Quicktime movie playing in your browser on the Mac you can usually make a copy of the cache file located here:

/Users/your_name_here/Library/Preferences/Explorer/"Temporary Files"

But why not go the direct route and contact the webmaster at that site and request a copy of the file you want? If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you're doing something with their content which would require their permission anyway.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #3
New Boot

Hey thanks for you advice. I will try to look into just capturing video. Unfortunatly I am using PC - XP, sorry forogto to mention. We are actually from the same organization so copyright isnt an issue, but they are on the other side of the world and it is a real hassle to get it from them. Any other ideas? Thanks
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

i just saved 30 seconds of it using VideoLan

http://videolan.org/vlc/

file > open network stream > choose Network > paste into RTSP URL

rtsp://68.142.129.236:80/football/20050309_broncovision/broncovision1.mp4

check box Stream output

hit button Settings > Output methods > File > uncheck Dump raw input > type in any filename *.MP4

Encapsulation Method should be MPEG TS

hit OK, OK

then it should start saving stream to the file

the whole screen is green for the first couple of seconds though

good luck!
Roger Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #5
New Boot

Hey Roger, thanks for the reply, that program looks like it will work great. I have been trying to use it and have gone through the list your reply with several times, but I am only getting a zero byte file out... I have tried all sorts of things like having it running in the browser, quicktime, and realplayer. I am sure that I am following your steps, but I am still not getting anything. Can you think of what might be wrong? Thanks for your help bro
Old March 27th, 2005, 11:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey keep trying!

But if you don't succeed, you can get it from me...won't be as fast though as my modem is quite busy at the moment.

Both parts (1.mp4, 2.mp4) are compressed inside a 130 mb rar file and here is the torrent

http://owntracker.com/pqrt/details.php?info_hash=5c399bf5d6d090d940b062c5e2c03f733ad9a262
Old March 28th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #7
New Boot

Roger, you are the man! Thanks so much for you help. I love bit torrent, I got the files from you. Thanks. We are hoping to go through with the presentation tomorrow. What did you think of the video? Pretty intense! Yeah.. guess what though. I must be retarded. I am trying everyway I can to get those files to play, getting every codec that I can. Quicktime, realplayer, WM..whatever I can get my hands on but it doenst wanna play! I know I am a hassle, but any ideas bro?
Old March 28th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew

VLC player will play them..though you're right that nothing else seems to, which puzzles me...
Old March 30th, 2005, 01:59 AM   #9
New Boot

Roger, you are the man. We just ended up using VLC player to play them instead of integrating them into the powerpoint. It worked just fine with no kinks! You saved the day! Thank a million *slaps Roger on the back*
Chase Brammer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion