image fader? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 26th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #1
Major Player

image fader?

hello,

most of the time i am shooting live in theater settings, and would like to use/ have a image fader of any kind, to insert a transition between scences. (overlap scenes, sepperate?)
i am tapping from my dv canon directly onto a vcr, and i wonder if there is something i could put in between my camera and the vcr without stopping the recording.
the xl1-s has a fader option, but only at the beginning and the end of a recording session.
would also like to control this device from my tripot pan handles.

thanks

karl
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Probably the simplest would be to shoot in manual mode and repeatedly press the shutter speed button towards shorter exposures to fade out then press it in the other direction to fade back in.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #3
Major Player

For my livecam switching (analog) to a multimedia projector, I use the trusty old videonics (now focus enhancements) MX-1 digital video mixer. In your example feed 1 would be the xlcam and feed 2 would be nothing, so you could transition to black. The presets are many, and if you have the budget you could get the firewire version and record to disk.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 11:45 PM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Jimmy McKenzie : For my livecam switching (analog) to a multimedia projector, I use the trusty old videonics (now focus enhancements) MX-1 digital video mixer. In your example feed 1 would be the xlcam and feed 2 would be nothing, so you could transition to black. The presets are many, and if you have the budget you could get the firewire version and record to disk. -->>>

hello jimmy,

well, yes that video mixer by videonics is exactly what i was looking for. after viewing their webside, mx-4dv, which retails for abou $ 4,500, i guess i have to wait...to much money.
will search the web. i hope to find something for much less...<G>

thanks
karl
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 11:58 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The Videonics MX-1 has a few issues, the main one being lag between pushing the button and the actual transition. Otherwise it does work.

The cheapest new Videonics mixer is like $2,000 now.

Edirol or Roland makes some video mixers that are cheaper.

2- If you are comfortable with eBay, you can pickup an old analog mixer like the MX-1 or Panasonic MX-50. The MX-50 I like as it does not have the lag. It is about the same price. You can get it modified for extra resolution.

I wouldn't necessarily trust eBay for old equipment like a mixer though... they can be half-broken. You may however be able to find new-in-box stuff (although for mixers this old, it may not happen).

3- Maybe you can capture directly to a computer or direct-to-disk recorder? From there it shouldn't take that long to throw on transitions, fix any major problems, and print to tape.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion