Are F-Stops subjective? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 25th, 2005, 05:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Are F-Stops subjective?

I've got two cameras...a Panasonic GS400 and a Sony VX2100. I was playing with them both in a fairly lit room (about 60lux) and noticed that the GS400 with an open iris and 18db is not as bright as the VX2100 at 4.8. Why is that? Granted it could have something to do with the ccd size...but I thought that the settings would be a little more objective rather than a subjective subject.
Jeremy Rank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 05:53 PM   #2
Major Player

F-stops are a measure of the amount of light that is allowed past the iris in relation to the lens diameter. How that light is then handled by the CCD, DSP etc, determines what sort of image you get.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #3
Wrangler

F-stops are just calculated by the lens aperture and focal length and don't take anything into account for the sensitivity of the CCD's. As we know, the VX-2100 is the low light champ and has bigger CCD's than the GS-400. The GS-400 also has a higher pixel density on the small chips which make it even less sensitive. So in other words, your test would be like comparing two film cameras with different speed films in them.

I have a PDX-10 which has similar (if not identical) CCD's to your GS-400 (1/4.7" 1152x864 IIRC). In side by side tests I found about a 2.5 f-stop difference from my VX-2000.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 05:03 PM   #4
Major Player

The F-stop setting is often referred to as the "speed" of the lens. Exposure also depends on the "speed" of the film or CCD and the speed of the shutter (short, fast exposure or long,slow exposure). Reducing the F-number by a factor of the square root of 2 (e.g. from f/5.6 to f/4) increases exposure 1 stop. Doubling the film or CCD speed (e.g. from 125 ISO to 250 ISO) increases the exposure by 1 stop. Doubling the shutter "speed" (e.g. from 1/60 to 1/30) increases the exposure by 1 stop.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion