Monocular? What is this called? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 29th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Monocular? What is this called?

I've seen many directors frame their shots using a monocular of some kind so they don't have to actually whip out the camera to plan shots. In fact most recently I believe Gus Van Sant does this on the special features of Elephant. I was wondering what the official name of this device is. I imagine it's just a small lens that mimics the field of view of a camera lens, but not sure what it's called or where to find them. Well I'd bet B&H would have them, but I don't know what to search for! Anyone know what this device is called and if it's actually useful as opposed to just whipping out the camera, and/or just framing purely with the eye?
Daniel Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #2
Major Player

It is a Director's Viewfinder. They are fairly expensive.

You can always frame with the cardboard portion of a 35mm slide... but you have to pretend zoom. :-)
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks. Yeah, I saw the prices... definitely expensive. I think I might just make a makeshift one like you described. In reality I don't need anything like those. I don't need to be adjustable based on format, aspect ratio, and focus. I just need somethign to assist with framing without having to power up the DVX and drag it across the room just to get some ideas.
Daniel Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:40 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Well.... you can always to the 'thumb and forefinger' frame with both hands... it's corny, but it works.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #5
Capt. Quirk

I actually like having the cam, so I can see how it will react to the setting. There are always little surprises, you just might not notice them until all is shot.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion