Viewfinder glasses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 14th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Viewfinder glasses

Why has this not been developed, with all the talk of screens to small or too hard to see in daylight, why not a pair glasses/goggles that would display an image of your frame.
This has to be possible.
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 10:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

There was some discussion about this in the "camera support" forum awhile back.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=36832

To answer your question more directly, some such devices do exist (including head-mounted videogame displays). The concern lies with what may be happening nearby but off-camera, and is therefore not visible to the operator.
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 11:24 AM   #3
Major Player

Interesting, I was thinking of something that would allow for adequate peripheral vision. Thanks!
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I remember reading that thread when it was new, but I don't recall seeing the part about the Eyetop system. Interesting that they're actually marketing it for this use.

The biggest concern I think was with those personal TV visors that completely block your vision. Still, safety is worth considering, particularly if this is in regard to a large object (such as a jib or dolly) or if you're about to step off the edge of something.
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #5
Major Player

I have a general recollection that Sony and another small company sold video goggles about 10 years ago. They had virtual screens that appeared to be about a foot or so in front of each eye. They were adjustable so you could make their images vary from solid to translucent, so you could see through them. I tried a pair at a dealer's and they had very good resolution and color. But, they would have been best when standing still. I believe the price was in the $600. range. Like most gimmicks, they probably didn't sell enough of them to continue the products. I'd use a pair today, if I could afford to buy every gadget I see. The question is, would Gerald Ford be able to walk and use them?
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 07:27 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Not sure if these would fit your needs, but there is a pair of glasses on ebay from 47th street Photo that are really interesting. They do not block your vision, as far as I can see but I can't tell what the image will look like. Might be worth looking into!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7507792379&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Just copy and paste. Hope it helps---Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion