Use of Matte box. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 31st, 2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Trustee

Use of Matte box.

Hi i'm planning to buy for Xmas a Matte box for my fx1.How does it exactly work ?Should i buy the lateral flags?When should i use em?I need the matte box cause i'm using a wideangle and i wanna also add filters in front of it!

thx guys

MM
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The more flags you have the more options you've got for eliminating flare - htat's what they're there for. But you can get by without them, most people just use a top flag or none at all.
Be very careful that your matte box is wide enough that it doesn't cut off the corners of your wide lens.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Major Player

I bought a very cheap one but is ok. It is my first Mattebox so I didn't ant to spend too much money on something I don't know how much I'll be using...
This one has both sides and french flag + 2 4x4 filter olders (one rotating).
Matte Box+French FLAG XL-1,XL-2,VX2100,VX2000,PD150,170 su eBay.it Filter, Camcorder-Zubehör, Foto Camcorder

If you go for this one.. tell mr. Ali that you got the link from Marcello from Rome.
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 05:44 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Looks OK. Again, just be sure it'll work with a wide lens, particularly if you have 2 filter slots, it may protrude too far forward and give cutoff in the corners.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Hello Marcus,
You may also consider that any Mattebox that is mounted to the lens via the Lens thread can damage the thread if knocked. The best way to go is to use mattebox with rails which offers far more ridged support and will not damage you lens thread.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 11:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

He's right. If you just want to protect the lens, then go for a rubber lens hood.

If you use a bellows version, such as Cavision's rail mounted mattebox then its adjustable to the lens in use, takes two 4x4 filters (one rotatable) and has a french flag up top. There is no need for the side flags as the box is adjustable.

Using a chrosziel style box, then you will need the side flags as well.

For ENG work, I keep the top flag off, as it casts a shadow from the top mounted light. - but keep it handy for awkward light situations.

It covers the main bases; protecting the lens from knocks and bumps, and controlling unwanted stray light.

Ben
Ben Longden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:12 AM   #7
Trustee

I found interesting this Chrosziel in EU
Matte Box - Sony HVR-Z1 - Chrosziel - Matte Box 16:9 - 2 portafiltri 4x4" - Per Sony HDR-FX1 & HVR-Z1 - 450 HVR-Z1

what u think guys?
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:55 AM   #8
Wrangler

I have the Century mattebox and rails on my EX1 which is actually made by Vocas: VOCAS SYSTEMS BV. The shoulder rest bracket is a nice extra feature of this setup. This box has internal "eybrows" which are small flags that you can adjust to the field of view of your lens. Also incuded the top french flag. Very nicely made and solid, but certainly not the cheapest product.

This mattebox is designed for use with wideangle lenses, but you can only use the rear filter holder with a wide lens or you'll get vignetting. A good quality mattebox is a significant investment; be certain that you really need it before spending your money. Also make sure it is compatible with your wide lens. Some lenses (like the Sony, IIRC) have permanently attached sunshades which will present a problem. If you are using a Century wide lens, they also make a sunshade which gives you one non-rotating filter slot and costs a lot less than a mattebox: Century Precision Optics | VS-SS05-00 4x4 | 0VS-SS05-00 | B&H
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:22 AM   #9
Trustee

What's up Boyd?I'm using a Sony wide HG-0872.....
what you think about the one i linkked to you?

Have a nice weekend my friends

MM
Old November 1st, 2009, 07:36 AM   #10
Wrangler

Hey Marcus. The Chrosziel 450 is a very good product based on all the reports I've read. Don't know anything about that vendor though. Here's the datasheet on the 450: http://www.chrosziel.com/data/chrosz...s/MB_450_E.pdf

You would need the correct size adaptor for your lens, and another adaptor to use it without the wide lens. You will definitely want the rods for additional support. Also realize that the microphone on the FX1 is a problem for some matteboxes. The wide lens may move the mattebox far enough away to clear it though.

You might also have a look at posts in the Z1/FX1 forum as they would be more specific to your camera. Here are a few - use the search feature to find more:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...nvestment.html
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...er-holder.html
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...al-filter.html
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...-box-ebay.html
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...matte-box.html
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:57 AM   #11
Trustee

Hey thamk you guys ,i will study those posts and let u know.Btw most of my shots are outdoor doc shots and i guess it's very useful to avoid the flare on the optics right?

thx
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:44 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi Marcus

Google the True Lens Services and look at the Ketsrel. Light and well made for the money. I use on my Z1.

Cheers
Gareth

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion